London SE1 community website

URGENT: St Mary Magdalen Churchyard - Planning Application by Developer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 22 August 2019 4.15pm
I have objected to this via the council's link. Don't expect much to come of it though, money talks.
Sunday 25 August 2019 10.52am
Money talks? This route is a planning requirement. As I have said in another post, if there was money to be made here then the developer would want to make this a secure, gated development, not one the public can wander through at all hours.
Wednesday 4 September 2019 1.59pm
boroughbloke wrote:
Money talks? This route is a planning requirement. As I have said in another post, if there was money to be made here then the developer would want to make this a secure, gated development, not one the public can wander through at all hours.

The 'money talks' remark was a comment on Southwark Council's readiness to acquiesce to developers' proposals in general, rather than this development specifically. The area between the two parks has been open to public access for as long as I can remember, so creating a gated development there would be nigh on impossible without impeding/infringing someone's access rights. Access to the two parks via a 'quietway' would make a notable selling point and therefore, a fair second prize.
The pitfalls of creating another access point to the warren behind Bermondsey Street's warehouses have already been extensively listed in this thread and the current residents would bear the brunt of the likely antisocial behaviour; which brings me back to Southwark Council's relationship with developers, since they seem to care more for the potential benefit to be had from that, than they do for existing residents.
Shiv made the point that if a gate was deemed so vital, it needn't necessitate the felling of trees to create what would amount to vehicular access; instead, a narrower, pedestrian-only gate would suffice. I have to say, having seen the space, I think this is true. Not only would that prevent the felling of at least two trees which don't appear to be diseased (unless it's in your interest to make sure that they come down), but would make an escape route for speeding cyle-riding thieves much more difficult to negotiate.
Wednesday 4 September 2019 3.10pm
I repeat that this link is a Southwark requirement, not one the developer necessarily wants. The boot here is on the other foot.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions