London SE1 community website

Drones

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 August 2019 8.36pm
I'm an amateur drone pilot who likes to take aerial photographs and abide by all the rules when out flying. I'm also curious to find out people's perceptions of drones and any experiences you have had with them. Please let me know what you think as I'm really keen to find out. Many thanks in advance. David.
Wednesday 14 August 2019 10.24am
Unless invading privacy I love aerial photography Also drones have been so useful in search and rescue. Depends on how and what you use it for. If I saw one outside my home I'd be v unhappy indeed.
Wednesday 14 August 2019 11.27am
Can you advise, Wingwalker, where is it legal for an amateur to fly a drone in SE1? - given, I quote from https://www.silicon.co.uk/e-regulation/fly-drones-london-158901 :

*Drones must not be flown within 150 metres of any congested area, within 150 metres of an outdoor assembly of more than 1,000 people, or within 50 metres of any individual except during take-off and landing. Youíre also not allowed to fly drones within 50 metres of any other vehicle, structure or property thatís not under your control.
*Unmanned aircraft with a camera attached or built-in are classified as an unmanned surveillance aircraft, and are also subject to stricter rules regarding the operation. For example, if thereís a camera on-board, youíre not allowed to fly the drone within 30 metres of any individual, rather than 50 metres.
*If you are recording people with a film or still camera loaded onto the drone, you will also have to abide to the Data Protection Act.

How, in SE1, can anyone manage to get 150 metres away from a congested area, or 50 metres away from a vehicle, structure or property that's not under their control?

I'm all in favour of the various uses of drones for research, as in archaeology, and the sort of search and rescue work mentioned by Mini Haha - and we'll no doubt have to live with their use for police surveillance (at least they're not as noisy as helicopters). And I'd love to try my hand at flying one myself. But my guess is that most of those we see around in London being flown by amateurs are actually breaking the law.
Wednesday 14 August 2019 4.07pm
I do all of my flying outside of the M25.
Sunday 18 August 2019 8.12am
I felt uneasy a few years back when granddaughter who was only three at time was in a paddling pool in garden. She only had knickers on, this bloody drone kept coming back and forth like a demented dragonfly. She was frightened, and got out. This was just off new Kent rd. As John C said...150 metres of congested area?
Friday 6 September 2019 11.48am
It's started. Drone flying today - very low over the courtyard of the estate I live in. Each time I went out on the balcony to see it, it flew higher then away. Any ideas on how to stop this happening? As well as the intrusion the noise is really irritating.
Friday 20 September 2019 2.21pm
There is a very interesting discussion about Drones currently taking place on Talk London.
Be interested to hear your opinion on some of the debates.

You should definitely check it out!

https://www.london.gov.uk/talk-london/transport/drones

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions