London SE1 community website

Lighting outage South Bank

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 28 August 2019 6.56am
Does anyone know why, for several weeks now, all the lights have been out from the east side of the NT to near the OXO tower? Walking home along there late in the evening has become a rather scary experience and this is the height of the tourist season.
Wednesday 28 August 2019 12.52pm
Just to clarify. I mean the riverside walk not Upper Ground.
Thursday 29 August 2019 5.44pm
You can contact Coin Street Community builders they own the land by the oxo and towards the national maybe they know.
Thursday 29 August 2019 9.04pm
Be careful waking along the riverside late at night. People have been assaulted and robbed around there and by Royal Festival Hall south of Hungerford Bridge. Always be in a group never walk alone itís far from safe in London late evenings.
Friday 30 August 2019 8.39am
Yes thanks I've done that. Apparently nobody had reported that this section of the Queen's Walk has been in darkness for more than two weeks. CSCB have asked their electricians to sort it out. I have been assured that in future there will be more regular inspections by their staff.
Friday 30 August 2019 10.23am
SE1Antique - while people have been assaulted and robbed on the Thames Path late at night, it's not "far from safe in London". We have 20MM visits to the South Bank each year and a tiny number are victims of crime.

In terms of risky activities, crossing the road is far more dangerous than walking on the South Bank.

London, as a whole, is pretty safe. Most crime occurs to particular types of people. I walk around on my own, and hardly ever in a group, and haven't been attacked or assaulted. I don't feel at risk or threatened when I do.

Please don't scare other people, and please don't be limited by your own fear.
Friday 30 August 2019 5.52pm
Agree...in my seventy five years of living in London, I had one attempted failed break in ...and one attempted mugging! It's a lot safer in London at night than it is in Derby town centre!
Friday 30 August 2019 8.14pm
Iím speaking from personal experience. I was robbed and assaulted last November in the area late at night, my wallet and phone stolen ended up in A&E perpetrators never caught. So I know what Iím talking about!
Friday 30 August 2019 9.58pm
You would say the same about walking round the streets had you been run over by a bus in broad daylight?

I agree with the other posters that the actual chances of being a victim of crime are very small indeed. You have been in such an unfortunate position. Others have been struck by lightning, but this is not a reason for propagating a fear among other people of going out in the rain.

You do realise that by propagating such fears you feed the problem by making people afraid of the dark and that means there are less people, which give the bad people out there more opportunities.
Saturday 31 August 2019 3.20pm
Hi se1antique
Sorry to hear about your experience, I agree with you . You do have to be careful out and about. It's the threat/fear of violence I get walking at night. With so many groups of drunks walking about after the pubs shut.
Also there's a lot of crime which doesn't get reported. It may not be where you are physically attacked but verbally abused or threatened with violence.
What se1antique experienced was extremely nasty and has every right to
To warn people to be careful and make a statement that London's far from safe.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions