London SE1 community website

Bus 40 route change

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 2 September 2019 1.49pm
Does anyone know the reason why Bus 40 no longer connects Elephant & Castle to the City of London?
I find it a bit odd at a time when the number of City workers in E&C is on the increase.
Monday 2 September 2019 3.31pm
Hi Marco, bus route 40 normally goes from Walworth Road to the Elephant, then onto Clerkenwell Green near Farringdon. It just doesn’t continue into Kings Cross like the 45 route used to.
Monday 2 September 2019 4.35pm
The 40 used to go Walworth, borough then over London Bridge. I did jump on the 40 a few months ago on the Walworth road and thats when I found out the route had been changed.
Tuesday 3 September 2019 10.42am
I've been taking Bus 40 for years and it definitely used to go to London Bridge and onto Gracechurch Street up until this summer. Perhaps TFL wants more people to use the Northern Line since it's not crowded enough...
Tuesday 3 September 2019 3.24pm
This was part of the same major changes to bus-routes as the withdrawal of the RV1. Unfortunately, concern in SE1 about the RV1 seems to have detracted attention from the other changes.

MarcoC: 'Perhaps TFL wants more people to use the Northern Line since it's not crowded enough...' may be right - if you look at the various changes they seem to designed to stop south Londoners taking a direct bus across central London's crowded bridges to places north of the river!

Why the new 40 route should terminate at Clerkenwell Green instead of extending to King's Cross I don't know. Perhaps it's due to TfL's fond belief that once (eventually) Crossrail/Elizabeth Line opens, Farringdon will become a central traffic hub.

If you want to know the history of London bus routes, there's a fascinating website https://www.londonbuses.co.uk/

What you realise when you look at it is that there were once a large number of cross-town bus routes running from the suburbs on one side through the centre to the suburbs on the other. (Or even further - does anyone remember the old Green Line coach that ran all the way from Dorking to Luton via Victoria?) Gradually, as traffic increased, LT realised it was impossible for these routes to keep to timetables through the congested central area, and cut them short or turned them into two overlapping sections (like 453 and 53).

Their argument now seems to be that with current types of ticket and payment options you can change buses without paying twice. Doesn't help the inconvenience, of course, or the stress on those using major changing points like the Elephant and Castle - confusing unless you're a regular user and know exactly which bus-stop your connecting bus goes from!
Wednesday 4 September 2019 9.13am
Thank you John, that was very interesting

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions