London SE1 community website

Any recommendations for a half-decent managing agent?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 16 September 2019 2.36am
Hi all,

Our block is in the process of finding right to manage and finally getting rid of our terrible managing agent. Can anyone recommend a half-decent, competetent managing agent that works in the area? I searched and saw some old threads, but the one recommendation that stood out from there (Alaska) no longer appear to be operating.

Thanks,
Amar
Monday 16 September 2019 12.07pm
We use JFM Block and Estate Management, who only act for right to manage blocks (not big commercial freeholders). Although they are Harrow based they manage a large number of blocks in SE1. We find them excellent.
Monday 16 September 2019 3.35pm
I've dealt with many different managing agents over the years and they were all pretty bad: Chainbow, Savills, etc.
Rendall & Rittner slightly better, but you really need somebody FULL TIME to breathe down their neck.
Wednesday 18 September 2019 2.36pm
Our building has worked with James Conway, Tall Building Ltd, 2A Chestnut Grove, London SW12 8JD, www.tallbuilding.co.uk 020 8673 7353 since we bought our freehold in 2008. For much of that period I was on the Board of Directors. James has provided a good, professional service. No complaints, no reservations in recommending. I have no relation other than being a customer.
Tuesday 24 September 2019 3.09pm
I chair our development residents committee and we had a series of appalling agents . We were introduced to B Bailey in Romford and they are responsive and first class
Wednesday 2 October 2019 10.26am
Has anybody used Property Partners or HML? If so can you tell me what you think of them? You can PM me if you prefer. Many thanks.
Tuesday 8 October 2019 8.01pm
Iíve been ready this thread with interest as experience of HML over ten years has been truly dire. Avoid at all costs. Too many items to list. Worn out trying to kick start them into action for which we pay a pretty penny. Do not use. Frogg, I will PM you.
Saturday 21 December 2019 4.33pm
I don't see any managing agent being any good and they're all in it for themselves. What we need is the regulation of the property sector. Whatever you do, you MUST not go anywhere near Warwick Estates as they're the king of cowboys.

Make sure you check the ARMA Consumer Charter and Standards doc or RICS to ensure that they are following standards and ensure you formally complain to the Property Ombudsman if none of the managing agents resolve your complaints in 8 weeks. Escalate it to ARMA and Trading Standards.

https://arma.org.uk/downloader/tsn/ARMA-Consumer-Charter-and-Standards-LowRes.pdf
Sunday 9 February 2020 5.19pm
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a half-decent, competetent managing agent that works in the area?

Unfortunately a half-decent agent is still 50% more than you are likely to find!

Posting to strongly warn you against Madley Property. Not sure if they are more incompetent or contemptible, but either way, AVOID!
Sunday 9 February 2020 10.48pm
Sorry, I know this isn't answering the OP's question but ones that I'd avoid (from personal experience) would most definitely be Property Partners, Warwick Estate and Rendall & Rittner (got to agree with the poster above who said you have to really breathe down their neck).

The problem with all these places is staff turnover. You may be assigned a half decent property manager but it won't be long before they're spread too thin, and then they invariably move on within a year. You're then back to square one and the person who was the assistant taking the minutes of your Board meeting then gets a grandiose job title like "senior property manager" and is in charge of your development...

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions