London SE1 community website

Borough High Street - awful experience

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 2 October 2019 1.09pm
Has anyone noticed how awful Borough High Street has become at night, especially Friday and Saturday?
I had to pass through last Friday and was appalled by what I saw. Yes I understand it's Central London and it's the weekend but lord what an experience.
Drunks, anti social behaviour and vomit. It was also quite threatening. Shame on Southwark Council for letting this happen.
Wednesday 2 October 2019 5.04pm
Unfortunately, this is nothing new, I avoid the area in the evening. If I have to use London Bridge station I will walk a huge detour rather face drunken threatening behaviour on a direct walk to the station.
Wednesday 2 October 2019 7.09pm
It's been a scummy stretch of SE1 for years. Security on the doors doesn't prevent nasty behaviour once punters are outside. From the rammed pubs near the market down to Belushis and The Blue Eyed Maid in particular, it's a place to avoid.

Unless you like that sort of thing, of course.
Thursday 3 October 2019 12.28am
I do not know how and why itís been allowed to continue like this for so long. What is Southwark council thinking allowing this to carry on ? BHS is disgusting on fri and sat evening. I also will detour rather than walk past Belushis and the like. Something bad will happen and then the Council will sit up and take note. Pathetic. I thought Borough nowadays was a desirable place to live? Southwark Council just canít get it right,
Thursday 3 October 2019 2.41pm
I don't quite understand how the blame can be placed entirely with the Council. The operating 'style' of the premises is what determines the customer profile and, to a large extent, their behaviour. Cheap drink promotions, sports on tv, pumping music, even the decor of an establishment all set the tone. The problems in the High Street start once the clientele are loaded (or pre-loaded) and out on the street. I don't know what responsibility the pubs and bars have for monitoring the behaviour of people outside their premises, but they should certainly contribute towards the clean up process and cost.
Thursday 3 October 2019 3.39pm
I am surprised this kind of behaviour takes place on a street that houses a major police station: if anyone is to blame for allowing this happen it's the MPS, not LBS...
Friday 4 October 2019 9.01am
I take your point about better door policy and pub's taking more responsibility but there is a glut of pubs, betting shops and cheap chicken shops - that along with a high saturation of student accommodation etc - not blaming students per say but arguably it all adds to the mix. It's a horrendous place to be on a Fri/ Sat night and not much better when walking along it on a Sunday morning wading through the detritus and vomit. Ah, Borough a desirable area to be? I don't think so.
Monday 7 October 2019 5.17pm
Many apologies to the person who just posted a message in this thread - I accidentally deleted it. Please feel free to post it again. Once again, I'm sorry - it was unintentional.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 October 2019 7.59am
I couldn't agree more, Southwark council is responsible for hedonism that has taken over the area.

In response I've arranged a protest, starting from bourgh station on Friday 11th October @9pm. Marching up to London Bridge, banners and refreshments are provided, pls come along and let Southwark know we won't stand for this to continue
Tuesday 8 October 2019 7.54pm
think about this, you've arranged a protest to walk through an exceptionally noisy area, with lots of drunken louts, whilst you make yourself a target with banners protesting the louts, it's like extinction rebellion in reverse, you won't have any effect save some beer thrown over you but good luck anyhow
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions