London SE1 community website

Large glasses of wine??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 21 October 2019 4.28pm
Went in to my local at lunchtime, King's Head in Roupell Street. Asked for a large glass of Picpoul as usual and told. very politely, we don't do large glasses now because of Brexit.
On questioning the answer varied to, because the wine comes from abroad

The management of the King's Head are entirely within their rights to alter the size of glasses they serve, what they are not entitled to do is to blame it on extraneous issues. Brexit is not an issue, since it hasn't happened,and there is nothing in current plans which would alter glass sizes. They also sell South African wine, again Brexit cannot be involved. So what is going on. It speaks of a total lack of integrity form an otherwise excellent establishment.
Tuesday 22 October 2019 4.39pm
How very weird.

As much as I appreciate blaming Brexit for bringing nothing but misery, I don't really get this.
Tuesday 22 October 2019 4.45pm
You're right that that doesn't make sense....
Tuesday 22 October 2019 6.44pm
We havenít left yet!
Tuesday 22 October 2019 9.31pm
A standard glass of wine contains 175ml of liquid, a large glass 250ml.

Not offering for sale wine a large glass does not constitute an alteration of size: it is merely a reflection of the business model of that establishment.
Wednesday 23 October 2019 1.27pm
The amounts of grams of alcohol in the wine glass is just as important as the size of the glass. I am right in thinking that the UK allows a maximum of 8gm per unit, whereas everywhere else in the EC offers at least 10gm which is 25% more than the UK?
Friday 25 October 2019 11.21am
Talked to them again yesterday and got the much more sensible answer that it is part of Drinkaware and responsible drinking. Good for them, they just need to let all the bar staff know the reason.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions