London SE1 community website

Pets in social housing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 22 October 2019 8.12am
I see that City of London housing is being asked to review its policy on permitting dogs in their rentals. I think if they and others are to allow this, then they must insist all pets are microchipped and neutered. It's a great way to encourage responsible pet ownership and allow animal lovers the chance to have a pet too. I'm sure the pet rescue centres would welcome this as well.
Related news & features
Tuesday 22 October 2019 4.39pm
Agree Shiv...and on leads. I adore dogs and they hold no fear for me..but friends of mine have been terrified by the moronic owners who smile when their Alsatian is on its back legs, front paws on your shoulders and say...don't worry, he's just being in friendly he won't hurt you... Or you see a pitbull type dog hurtle towards your springer spaniel.. One of my neighbours had a pitbull , very well looked after. Before wheelie bins evolved Khan jumped over the garden fence,tore open rubbish bag, munched on large crab shell like it was a crisp! Ps. Khan was his name! Lol
Wednesday 23 October 2019 4.10pm
Mmm. I would have reservations about this if there is a rule change. Irresponsible dog owners ruin it for everyone. Dogs are not allowed in my block and frankly I'm grateful for it. If anything, I advocate extending the ban to all property that doesn't have a dedicated dog-toilet, which is what Ufford Street park seems to be.

I know lots of people are responsible owners but you only need one who doesn't pick up after their mutt to mean your neighbourhood is permanently blighted with sticky little brown presents.
Wednesday 23 October 2019 9.19pm
I live in a small block run by L & Q. Leasehold agreement says no pets. The block is full of dogs. Why are people so afraid to enforce? Really pisses me off.
Thursday 24 October 2019 12.29am
I hope they are allowed dogs are a wonderful loving family member, so nice especially if you are alone .. great company .. much better than most humans :)
Thursday 24 October 2019 10.47pm
I love dogs. I love all animals. However, it is not always appropriate to have animals in small blocks of flats. Also, not everyone likes animals. One of my neighbours is terrified of dogs and she bought her flat as her lease says animals are not allowed. Is that fair on her? I will soon be leaving and moving into a house with a garden where I will have a dog and a couple of cats.
Friday 25 October 2019 7.32am
When I moved into my flat 10+ years ago, no animals were aloud. Over the last few years "special permission" has been given to a few tenants who have said they need a dog for company?!!

Just so happens that these tenants are drug deals to!
Friday 25 October 2019 11.18am
Holly wrote:
I hope they are allowed dogs are a wonderful loving family member, so nice especially if you are alone .. great company .. much better than most humans :)

Totally agree with you!! Dogs for people with depression can work wonders with Mental Health!
Friday 25 October 2019 2.10pm
Same with Peabody Trust - ban on dogs in flats but there are definitely tenants who have them. Can you imagine, no sound insulation between the flats and a barking dog!
Don't get me started on trying to get Peabody to enforce anything that involves effort on their part.
Friday 25 October 2019 2.27pm
Exactly.. some people havent got the opportunity to buy a new house with a garden..as long as the dog is walked and cared for i can only see positive reasons.. Dogs give unconditional love
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions