London SE1 community website

Phone Stolen Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 1 November 2019 11.24am
Phone stolen from my hand last night just outside Bermondsey hotel in Bermondsey square walking from Bermondsey street across the square towards Tower Bridge road. About 15 young lads on bikes, circled me before ripping it from my hand. Happened about 8:20pm last night on my usual walk home. Reported it to police not long after it happened.
djm
Friday 1 November 2019 12.18pm
I'm sorry to hear that, thanks for sharing.

Can I ask: pedal bikes or mopeds?
Friday 1 November 2019 1.22pm
Unfortunately mobile phone snatches from feral youths on bicycles is a problem in most of London. Sorry to hear this hope you get a replacement soon.
Friday 1 November 2019 4.37pm
What a frightening experience, you must be quite shaken and it must be worrying to walk that route now and risk encountering those feral kids again... I wonder if they are the same ones causing havoc on the roads in the area...
Friday 1 November 2019 8.41pm
I believe it is the same guys on bikes that were letting off fireworks via their bikes in Bermondsy street around 8pm
Monday 4 November 2019 5.24pm
They were pedal bikes and I do think this was the same group with the fireworks. Actually think I have seen one of the group since, again cycling outside Bermondsey Hotel, so I would avoid walking through the square if you are walking alone.

Thank you all for the concern, I am okay, just annoying to have to get a replacement - did not realise how much I use my phone!
Monday 4 November 2019 9.39pm
Hello, I am a student journalist and as part of my course I have to find news stories from the London Bridge/Bermondsey area. I'm sorry to hear about your phone. If you, or anyone else on this thread, or anyone else that you know, would be willing to share your views with me on these "young lads on bikes" (as it seems to be a problem in this area), please let me know. It would help me a lot and I would greatly appreciate it. If you are interested you can email me - [email protected]
Thank you very much.
Monday 4 November 2019 10.39pm
I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I had my phone snatched by a boy on a moped at St Georges Circus in September, and know exactly how frustrating it is. Annoying when the turned on the phone, Find My iPhone showed that my phone was last seen in the estate on Druid Street not far from me. I went to have a poke round and obviously found nothing but did bump into another girl who had had exactly the same thing happen a few weeks prior.

I reported it to the police, and they seem to know the group behind it, but they seem somehow to keep at it.

It's a real catch 22 as I used to feel safer walking home in the evening while messaging/chatting to a friend, but now I'm so aware not to have my phone out at all!
Really depressing state of affairs.
Tuesday 5 November 2019 7.57pm
There is a group of young boys on bikes stealing phones. Around Canada Water, Rotherhithe and Jamaica Road.

Police are well aware of them but donít have resources to catch them. Please do keep reporting if it does happen.
Wednesday 6 November 2019 6.52pm
My offspring said if any muggers took my mobile they'd sneer and hand it back...its humble old Nokia ...perhaps these expensive phones that are so expensive , hundreds of pounds justify the muggers mugging? I know you should be entitled to walk where you are carrying the Crown Jewels..but it's not Kansas...as Dorothy said.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions