London SE1 community website

nuisance neighbours

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sjf
Saturday 7 December 2019 1.10am
has anyone had to deal with neighbours that party most days of the week , the last 2 occasions finished at 4.30 am and most recently started at 6 am . im no shrinking violet but even i think its a p... take. thoughts please.
Sunday 8 December 2019 10.32pm
0430am FFS!

have you had a word with them?
Monday 9 December 2019 10.43am
Call the noise team at Southwark they respond in 1 hour and work until 2.30am. Ive done it in the past - works wonders!

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour/how-to-report-a-noise-problem
Wednesday 11 December 2019 11.26am
I agree - Southwark Noise Team are good. As Julia7329 says they arrive at your address within the hour and if they witness the noise and feel it's unacceptable will ask the culprits to turn it down. I have had noise issues with neighbours but my landlord Peabody Trust has done absolutely nothing. All they did was bat my complaint back with policy and procedure i.e. no support whatsoever.
Wednesday 18 December 2019 11.51am
Southwark Council noise team is the first port of call, then speak to the landlord. My landlord made me keep a diary and insisted I call SC every-time.
Its certainly isn't something all landlord take seriously though.
Sjf
Saturday 21 December 2019 10.28pm
Hi all, we called southwark noise team but the party stopped before they arrived so called them back to cancel the visit.
Thankfully it's stopped now, it all come to a head after a group of approximately 20 come back to their flat at 6am and started to party, iv never heard noise like it, the police were called and put an end to it, and now the landlord has issued a final warning.
Sunday 22 December 2019 9.27pm
The noise team have the authority to confiscate the equipment if complaints are repeatedly ignored.
Saturday 4 January 2020 11.57am
Hi All-sorry you are going through this sjf -we are in the same position but a different type of noise. The long and short of it is the landlord can do nothing ( they can give warnings but it means nothing in law) unless the offending tenants have a noise abatement notice form Southwark Noise Team. If they then break that abatement notice, so in essence get caught doing it again - either you or the landlord can take legal action/eviction. The SNT need to catch them in the act of doing the noise at unacceptable levels. This is where it gets tricky - probably not if it is party situation maybe that is easier. In our case the tenant making ASB noise lives next to the front door and as soon as they hear the door open/shut - they stop.
Landlord's may have noise/ASB policies with they rarely stick to but again in essence they mean little in law, it needs police or noise team intervention to change anything. In my case I have lived in my flat since the 90's and in that time had three major ASB cases - in total I estimate about over the three cases 18 yrs of ASB including noise and much more serious stuff. The Landlord sees the people who complain about the noise /ASB as the problem -as those causing it - just go on living in chaos but they don't bother the landlord.
Do keep calling SNT - they will catch them in the end and it is the only way to make a change. They also have a noise app you can download. I have not found it useful, as you can record the noise and it proves it's happening but in law it means not a lot because the law says, you are not proving whom is making that noise.Sending you all best wishes.
PS Sorry to sound like a know all- our latest noise /ASB case has been going on 9 years-so have been through it all.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions