London SE1 community website

Tooley Street (London Bridge City) footbridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 11 December 2019 5.44pm
https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/10065

I don't think this useful footbridge should be demolished - it's useful to get to the bus station from More London & London Bridge City (not least because of the escalators).

Mark
Wednesday 11 December 2019 6.21pm
It's not helpful that the London-SE1 report perhaps confuses two footbridges - London Bridge City and Colechurch House(London Bridge Walk).
Wednesday 11 December 2019 6.24pm
No, we donít confuse them.

The reason that both are mentioned in the article is owners of the Cottons Centre footbridge justify the loss of their bridge on the grounds that the other bridge will still be there.

However, plans for the redevelopment of Colechurch House are also in motion, and while nothing is public yet, the future of that bridge may not be assured.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 December 2019 10.40pm
Thanks James for clarifying.

Of course, the two footbridges point in different directions, and have always served distinct 'markets'. I doubt that many would bother using the other bridge if their usual bridge was demolished.

At the risk of going off-topic, the loss of the Colechurch footbridge really would be dumb.
Thursday 12 December 2019 12.42pm
I'd re-purpose it as a dual entrance cafť/ diner.

It would offer great views to its clients.
Thursday 12 December 2019 4.08pm
Could sell it to an Arizonian as Waterloo Bridge
Tuesday 17 December 2019 10.30pm
The footbridge is an eyesore and only useful for a handful of people. I fully support the demolishment.
Friday 20 December 2019 1.44pm
According to the news report, something like 3600 people daily are using it. That's a significant number of people still choosing it as a civilized exit from London Bridge.

Perhaps more importantly, it also provides an emergency exit from each of the old platforms 1 to 6 which, if the footbridge was gone, would mean a long exit out of the station especially if, God forbid, the station was in some scene of panic with thousands of commuters looking to exit the station speedily.

A final reason: I actually like the contrast between the new and not so new.

I think the footbridge ought to be retained.
Friday 31 January 2020 10.02am
Demolition approved: https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/10099

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 4 February 2020 10.33am
If the footbridge is an eyesore, then surely so is London Bridge City - when is that going to be pulled down?

Itís a disgrace that only 3(!) letters were sent out, and no notices posted. Judicial review, anyone?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions