London SE1 community website

The Lord Clyde

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 6 January 2020 4.50pm
Heard a rumour it's going, surely not!?
Monday 6 January 2020 6.40pm
I heard the family who have run it for years were more or less forced out, not sure of the details though.
Monday 6 January 2020 7.53pm
I heard that they retired and their children weren't interested. I did also hear that they wasn't treated very well once decision was made.
Tuesday 7 January 2020 12.33am
Not sure how much truth is in those rumours. I only found out last minute but went along on Saturday night for their final night, was absolutely rammed and a great knees up. Cracking atmosphere and the holy grail of pub parties: a free bar after closing time! It's been run by the Fitzpatrick family since the 1950's and the last landlord was the 3rd generation. He can't be much more than 30 so don't think it's true about the children not being interested. He's been in charge for a few years as well since his parents passed it on to him.
Mary the lovely Irish barmaid was retiring, maybe that's the source of that rumour.
The story I heard was that the family are going to keep the lease but the pub will be managed by some outfit called the Barrowboys. Frankly I don't think they should touch the decor, or get rid of the mice. It's such a perfect pub, the best type of old boozer with a proper local atmosphere. Not many of them left in the area.
Tuesday 7 January 2020 9.54am
Yea rumours are rumours and I didn't know the young'n was officially managing but I was told his wife has just had a baby which had some bearing on the matter, who knows? The same person told me it was going to be a hostel upstairs, not that big is it?

I do hope mine is true rather than Shiv's, it would be outrageous after all this time to be treated in that manner.
Sunday 12 January 2020 2.26pm
The Truth is that the lease was coming to an end and enterprise (who own the pub) priced the family out. It's been public knowledge since June, but the pub is been taken over by The Bermondsey Pub Company, who are keeping on all the staff, apart from Mary who has retired. I believe that the pub will be having a little refurb but nothing too drastic. A shame to see a brand going in but who knows. Good Luck to the fitzpatricks and the new baby and too all the well loved staff
Monday 3 February 2020 5.39pm
It opens tomorrow, 4th February at 5pm and then 12 midday thereafter. Fingers crossed it hasn't changed too much.
Thursday 6 February 2020 12.21pm
The website reckons it's located in Waterloo: https://lordclydeborough.co.uk/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 9 February 2020 6.51pm
Well I found the website depressing but the pub itself is - thank flip - very much unchanged from its former self. Went last night, the decor is gloriously untouched.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions