London SE1 community website

Castle Tandoori at the Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 January 2020 10.26am
Had the best dinner again on Saturday at the Castle Tandoori.

I have to say I'm not that gutted that the shopping centre is getting demolished but when we asked the owner he said it's unlikely they'd be opening in the new one. Now I am sad: it's the best curry I've had in London. Way better than Brick Lane.

If you've never been go while you can. It reminds me of when I used to go for curries with my family as a treat when I was little in the 90s! We had a massive dinner for two for 28.

Are there any other restaurants I should try before they go?
Monday 13 January 2020 9.13pm
I couldn't agree more: the Castle Tandoori is a great and an undervalued restaurant. I love the place.
The cafe on the corner next door to what used to be Tesco, is pretty good too. Whereas, I admit, beans on toast are as good as it gets, but the place is authentic and friendly.
Tuesday 14 January 2020 8.49am
I've never tried it. It's been recommended to me for as long as I can remember but I was always a Tower Tandoori man. Then I remember some posts on here (I think) complaining of mice running around and free meals to those that complained to them but promised not to review elsewhere (ie:Tripadvisor). This turned me off ever going, but I will reconsider and check out recent reviews.
Tuesday 14 January 2020 5.32pm
boroughonian wrote:
I've never tried it. It's been recommended to me for as long as I can remember but I was always a Tower Tandoori man. Then I remember some posts on here (I think) complaining of mice running around and free meals to those that complained to them but promised not to review elsewhere (ie:Tripadvisor). This turned me off ever going, but I will reconsider and check out recent reviews.

I also like Tower Tandoori, all the more because it's a 2 minute walk from where I live. Tower Tandoori is slightly more costly and indeed more sophisticated. Excellent food, and a notch up from Castle Tandoori. But the latter is without pretence: a good old fashioned curry house and less expensive.

I usually go where the mood takes me. I'd like to add that some years ago I left my wallet with a lot of cash in it at the Castle Tandoori, and they got in touch with me to return it. Honest and friendly.
Wednesday 15 January 2020 9.56pm
Recommended. I took friends there for a meal before I left for India for five months and they were so impressed they took their entire office for a Christmas meal and have returned since, as have I.

Quality food, good prices, and a relaxed atmosphere. Bonus points for the original Elephant and Castle carpet!!

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions