London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Road Scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 30 October 2020 12.04pm
This man approached me on Monday evening on Baylis Road, glad I had read the thread before. I would certainly have indulged his story for longer if I hadn't!

I was on the phone at the time and he opened the conversation by asking if I was local, and trying to elbow bump. Very polite and apologetic, asked if I was familiar with Cafe Ishaq on Kennington Road (but called it Cafe Ishiq, and then looked momentarily confused when I corrected him). I first assumed he was after directions but then he started telling me he was the manager and had some food locked in his van.

At that point my friend arrived so it became a slightly confused 3-way conversation, which is my excuse for not trying to take his photo. Anyway I told him I'd heard of his scam and that he was a conman, at which he did a good impression of looking hurt and bewildered but then promptly cantered off down the road.

Medium-build, around 6' tall, cropped dark hair with receding brow, and quite light-olive complexion, smiling and friendly demeanour. Paler skin tone than anyone I've seen working at Cafe Ishaq, looked more Mediterranean / middle-eastern than Indian subcontinental to me.
Thursday 19 November 2020 8.46am
I fell for the scam yesterday, he called himself Ali and gave me this number: 07377 076174
I can't do much about it and the Police can't do either, but I am thinking of signing him up to spams. Did he use any other numbers with you guys? I can add those numbers 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thursday 19 November 2020 12.04pm
You have to be so careful phoning mobiles...my friend few years back had pay as you go phone,put twenty pounds on...phoned back had a five minute call with young man who apologised...he had rung wrong number! She tried to make call after...no credit!
Thursday 19 November 2020 7.58pm
What time and where? What exactly happened? How was the man dressed?

wolverkev wrote:
I fell for the scam yesterday, he called himself Ali and gave me this number: 07377 076174
I can't do much about it and the Police can't do either, but I am thinking of signing him up to spams. Did he use any other numbers with you guys? I can add those numbers 🤷🏻‍♂️
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions