London SE1 community website

Shopping centre..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 18 January 2020 8.50am
Just watched short clip from ITN news on you tube 1962.. Interviewer went down The Lane, one lady was confident that the Lane will still flourish because the prices were so cheap. Because Rents in Elephant and Castle centre were 14.00 a week...and stall holders was 13 shillings and 6 pence...

So 55 years later: - Centre due for demolition
The Lane still here!
Sunday 19 January 2020 11.53am
Yes, The Lane is still there Jan. Start from the Walworth Road end, buy an ice cream Wafer(whatever happened to those)? from Roffo's and mull over the latest top twenty Hit Parade records on the A1 Lighting stall. Maybe buy a bag of hot chesnuts, while listening to the noisy chatter spilling out from The Good Intent.
Checking out the latest gear from Fox's shop and meander past Morgans for a bargain.

Maybe stop at George's for a hot Sarsparella. That's if you could grab his attention while he was chinwagging. Then watch a group (no 'bands' then) performing in the road at the hazardous crossroads. First time I ever saw a Skiffle group there, performing with washboard and stringed teachest! Nod to the boxer Mr. Noble, selling his White Horse Oils. Lots of second hand gear that we never knew we wanted, till we saw it . Invariably ended up with a Watch Tower leaflet (I must have one of those faces).

Yes, The Lane is still there. Haven't been there in decades, but I hope it remains for everyone to enjoy. Interestingly, all our family and friends always called it The Lane. Don't think I've been to East Street Market......
Sunday 19 January 2020 9.52pm
Sorry if being thick but where/what is "The Lane"?

Also, anyone know if Pricebusters is going to relocate?
Sunday 19 January 2020 9.55pm
The Lane = East Street

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 19 January 2020 10.47pm
Lewins wrote:
Yes, The Lane is still there Jan. Start from the Walworth Road end, buy an ice cream Wafer(whatever happened to those)? from Roffo's and mull over the latest top twenty Hit Parade records on the A1 Lighting stall. Maybe buy a bag of hot chesnuts, while listening to the noisy chatter spilling out from The Good Intent.
Checking out the latest gear from Fox's shop and meander past Morgans for a bargain.

Maybe stop at George's for a hot Sarsparella. That's if you could grab his attention while he was chinwagging. Then watch a group (no 'bands' then) performing in the road at the hazardous crossroads. First time I ever saw a Skiffle group there, performing with washboard and stringed teachest! Nod to the boxer Mr. Noble, selling his White Horse Oils. Lots of second hand gear that we never knew we wanted, till we saw it . Invariably ended up with a Watch Tower leaflet (I must have one of those faces).

Yes, The Lane is still there. Haven't been there in decades, but I hope it remains for everyone to enjoy. Interestingly, all our family and friends always called it The Lane. Don't think I've been to East Street Market......
Not forgetting the horse players with their tips in envelopes or chalked racing messages on the pavement.Prince Monolulu"I gotta horse!"
Monday 20 January 2020 11.55am
James Hatts wrote:
The Lane = East Street

Thanks, James. I remember being puzzled when I first moved to SE1 - growing up as an East Londoner, the only 'The Lane' I knew was Petticoat Lane. Soon discovered that south of the river was a different world.

But where does the other longer form 'East Lane' come from? There are certainly early postcards (you can find them online) showing the market that call it 'East Lane', but C & J Greenwood's map (1828) and the OS maps from 1850, 1875 and 1895 all call the street itself 'East Street' - so it was already called a 'street' before the market got established there in the 1870s.
Monday 20 January 2020 12.23pm
[quote tone][quote Lewins]
Not forgetting the horse players with their tips in envelopes or chalked racing messages on the pavement.Prince Monolulu"I gotta horse!"[/quote]

Yes, I remember him Tone. My dad said he heard that PM would give different tips out in the same race, so that he could guarantee that someone would come back next week saying that they had won! (Not sure if that's right though). I first saw the three card trick played there. Unfortunately, people usually lost their money as the man in charge would swap the winning card for a duff one, while you were getting your money out.
Forgot to mention that A1 lighting was a shop in the Walworth Road, where the owners transferred records to a stall on Sundays. Their music knowledge was amazing, considering that we started off listening to Radio Hilversham, Luxemburg and British Forces Overseas (or some name like that) radio. These were the pre pirate Radio Caroline days and years before Radio 1. They always had the latest hits in stock.
Does anyone remember the cafe that the market traders used to use on the other side of the street, was it Maries, Mary's or similar? If there was a bakers in The Lane, I can't remember it. We always went to Gilfords in Deacon Street nearby.
Monday 20 January 2020 8.40pm
Yes we called it East Lane and went there regularly. The first time I ever saw and tasted a pomegranate was on one of the stalls...didn't like it then and don't like it now. Does anyone remember Blundell's at Elephant & Castle? No money changed hands -must have been a credit store. I got my first 'Saturday Job' there...19/6 for the day! I learnt how to fold sweaters and learnt the difference between cardigans and lumber jackets, jumpers and sweaters and lots more that I cannot recall now.
Tuesday 21 January 2020 8.08am
Don't know if it was Blundell's but I remember my Mum paying weekly for a pillow! I think it was where the Superdrug is now.

My Dad always spoke of a place Walworth rd/East st where men gathered and drank some iron drink, could've been a wind up, he was like that.
Tuesday 21 January 2020 10.41am
We used to use 'Provident' cheques. Not sure if this was the name of the company. You could exchange part or all of the value in various retailers that advertised the scheme. Places like Whitehall Clothing (school uniforms etc) in Walworth Road by Albany. Then you would pay weekly to the issuing company plus interest. We could not afford to pay outright and had little choice.Looking back, I suspect my parents were always in debt. Don't know about Blundells.
Iron drinks? Could these be Sarsparella from Baldwins at the corner of Elephant Road? They had a marble counter in the herbalist shop, where kids and grown ups would stand drinking dark liquid with a frothy top, like beer. In half pint and pint jugs.Tasted fabulous. Baldwins moved to Walworth Road, probably still sell it.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions