London SE1 community website

Enough is enough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 10 February 2020 10.19pm
"...using a not very well cared for girl to do it!.. "

People have always been regurgitating what their media outlet of choice tells them, but it seems that in the last 3 years or so some don't even pretend to be thinking for themselves anymore. Thunberg is a strong, young adult who has found a way to deal with her condition and has taken charge not only of her life but is spearheading one of the greatest and most crucial changes in our attitude to our environment, and future generations will be grateful to people like her. Why people over 40, especially males. feel so threatened by this strong, determined young woman baffles me.
Monday 10 February 2020 11.39pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
People have always been regurgitating what their media outlet of choice tells them, but it seems that in the last 3 years or so some don't even pretend to be thinking for themselves anymore. Thunberg is a strong, young adult who has found a way to deal with her condition and has taken charge not only of her life but is spearheading one of the greatest and most crucial changes in our attitude to our environment, and future generations will be grateful to people like her. Why people over 40, especially males. feel so threatened by this strong, determined young woman baffles me.

Well said!
Tuesday 11 February 2020 8.59am
Last sentence in your post Edward , perhaps should read "while some people over 40 etc...". Some of us septuanarians ( is that spelt right?) do think like Thoreau when he wrote " a man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone"
Tuesday 11 February 2020 11.24am
tone wrote:
Last sentence in your post Edward , perhaps should read "while some people over 40 etc...". Some of us septuanarians ( is that spelt right?) do think like Thoreau when he wrote " a man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone"

Fair enough.
Tuesday 11 February 2020 2.22pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Complete poppycock and it's you that refuse to think for yourself, not I.

You may disagree with what I write but you do not know me and as a father of a strong, determined young woman I am snowflaked by your charge.

This debate needs calm heads, not hysterics. Hysterics is what we have, applauded by adults that should know better. People desperate to have, even the enviroment, decided on party lines or left or right. People that were happy for young people to believe that Brexit meant that no one could travel to Europe anymore!

The whole thing disgusts me.
Tuesday 11 February 2020 2.25pm
I mean, Greta's not being manipulated at all, she's always had access to all these media outlets eh?
Tuesday 11 February 2020 6.18pm
tone wrote:
Some of us septuanarians ( is that spelt right?) do think like Thoreau when he wrote " a man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone"

When Thoreau wrote that, he clearly didn't envisage 16 year old girls ever having the option of becoming 'rich' in that way...

However, among his lasting contributions are his writings on natural history and philosophy, in which he anticipated the methods and findings of ecology and environmental history, two sources of modern-day environmentalism.

So I'm pretty sure he would have most definitively encouraged Greta T to not "let it alone" and instead continue with her activism...
Tuesday 11 February 2020 7.42pm
Jules62 wrote:
tone wrote:
Some of us septuanarians ( is that spelt right?) do think like Thoreau when he wrote " a man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone"

When Thoreau wrote that, he clearly didn't envisage 16 year old girls ever having the option of becoming 'rich' in that way...

However, among his lasting contributions are his writings on natural history and philosophy, in which he anticipated the methods and findings of ecology and environmental history, two sources of modern-day environmentalism.

So I'm pretty sure he would have most definitively encouraged Greta T to not "let it alone" and instead continue with her activism...

I quoted that from Walden. As I recall (and I read that book many moons ago ) he was building a cabin close to the lake. He did not wish to remove any oaks and pines thoughtlessly and to leave any felled tree where it lay for" a man is rich etc.."

As you can see , what I wanted to convey was that we should let alone as many natural resources (for example) as we can and the earth would be richer for it.
Tuesday 11 February 2020 8.11pm
boroughonian wrote:
I mean, Greta's not being manipulated at all, she's always had access to all these media outlets eh?

More regurgitating of what media outlets of choice dictate.

Environmentalists have been warning about these issues for decades and have been ignored. The "This debate needs calm heads" argument is well past its expiry date. It was time someone hit their fist on the table and rightly says "enough". That someone happens to be Thunberg.
Tuesday 11 February 2020 8.32pm
tone wrote:
As you can see , what I wanted to convey was that we should let alone as many natural resources (for example) as we can and the earth would be richer for it.

That is more or less what I understood. Funnily enough I bought Walden a few months ago but haven't had time to read it yet!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions