London SE1 community website

Enough is enough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 11 February 2020 9.29pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
tone wrote:
As you can see , what I wanted to convey was that we should let alone as many natural resources (for example) as we can and the earth would be richer for it.

That is more or less what I understood. Funnily enough I bought Walden a few months ago but haven't had time to read it yet!

No more "spoilers "
Saturday 22 February 2020 9.53am
On this thread, we are reminded (well I am) of the fact that we have scientists and things.

So why do we need Greta? Why? Why do all these media outlets halt when she speaks, why is she all over the Worlds TV? What qualifications does she have?

She's there for one reason and one reason only, to frighten our children. Not saying that's her mo at all, I think she is genuine believe it or not, but that's why she's being used. I for one am not happy for our children to fret about something they could never affect.

In the states they used to tell school children the commies were coming and got them to hide under desks, if someone had challenged it they would have been slaughtered. They now know that was nonsense, so is this.
Saturday 22 February 2020 11.54pm
boroughonian wrote:
What qualifications does she have? ....They now know that was nonsense, so is this.

What qualifications do you have to decide this is nonsense? Also, I don't think she frightens children, she makes them aware. Also, can you prove she is being used? And with regards to our children fretting over "something they could never affect" - what a defeatist attitude and negative way to raise children. Today's children are tomorrow's adults and I think it is great they are taking responsibility and taking control from apathetic, inert or plain intransigent adults. Thunberg will be an adult in a year btw, no more patronising her then.
Monday 24 February 2020 10.09am
boroughonian wrote:

In the states they used to tell school children the commies were coming and got them to hide under desks, if someone had challenged it they would have been slaughtered. They now know that was nonsense, so is this.

Are you saying that climate change is a nonsense? I think Greta Thunberg is a remarkable teenager. Having taught teenagers for most of my life, I have rarely come across one that is prepared to take action for what they believe. And actually, we all need to be scared of the consequences of not taking action.
Monday 24 February 2020 12.02pm
boroughonian wrote:
In the states they used to tell school children the commies were coming and got them to hide under desks...

In America the kids hid under desks - in this country we went on CND marches, and got the same kind of abuse that certain people on this forum are directing at Greta Thunberg and at Extinction Rebellion.

boroughonian has already revealed on this site that he knows less about climate change than an intelligent Swedish schoolkid. I hope intelligent English schoolkids are also aware of what's going on.

boroughnian wrote:
On this thread, we are reminded (well I am) of the fact that we have scientists and things.

So why do we need Greta?

Because scientists have been warning us for twenty years and we haven't listened to them?
Monday 24 February 2020 7.22pm
Karen I wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Are you saying that climate change is a nonsense? I think Greta Thunberg is a remarkable teenager. Having taught teenagers for most of my life, I have rarely come across one that is prepared to take action for what they believe. And actually, we all need to be scared of the consequences of not taking action.

I fully agree with Karen I: Greta T represents a shining example to her peers, by offering a strong voice that cannot be ignored by us who are decades older.

I have come to notice that there are some older men who do not like being lectured by a schoolgirl, but what she has to say is very cogent.

Her "How dare you?!" UN speech is up there with "I have a dream".

Friday 28 February 2020 7.35pm
I'm more worried about Mercury and other crap in our lamps since we're not allowed to use the ones that never had poison in them anymore lol funny that. Anyone notice a marked difference with their electric bills, or their eyesight?
Saturday 29 February 2020 9.43am
boroughonian wrote:
I'm more worried about Mercury and other crap in our lamps since we're not allowed to use the ones that never had poison in them anymore lol funny that. Anyone notice a marked difference with their electric bills, or their eyesight?

Then buy LED lightbulbs, boroughonian. NO mercury - they run cold, they're bright, they save on electricity, they're sturdier than halogen lamps. They're said to last a long time - I can't prove it, I haven't lived long enough yet for one to fail on me.

But there's probably a dark side to them.
Tuesday 3 March 2020 8.53am
Seen the news? Seen how many children are having nightmares about climate change? Happy now? 1 in 4 1 in 5 is probably under target though and deemed inadequate in the grander scheme of petrifying the kids.

What's the time Mr Wolf?
Tuesday 3 March 2020 7.46pm
Iíve read the article and the kids, aged between 8 and 16, are not scared of what they know, they are Ďscared and frustratedí by the lack of action to stop it. Kids at this age have bad dreams about all sorts of things and Iím sure that if they were asked if they had a bad dream about the a Corona virus they would say yes. If young kids canít shame governments into solving the problem then they really do need to be scared.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions