London SE1 community website

Harper Road Shops Revisited

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 28 March 2020 10.45am
Just been reading a post by Jan The Old One about Borough Medical. For years my grandmother used to go to a doctor called Dr. Swan or maybe Dr. Stone in Marshalsea Road? He used to drive about in a 1920's Rolls Royce and was said to be a bit eccentric. How times change. My family used to visit Dr. Radclyffe in Harper Road who was there for many many years
This led me to remember the shops on the parade. I thought some of you here could fill in the gaps with memories of the shops in this road.
His surgery was next to the bombsite in Harper Road, opposite a block of flats (Newell House, maybe)before he relocated to Falmouth Road. In my mind's eye, I can still see the shops that formed the parade in Harper Road and I don't think the facades have changed much over time.
I haven't been back for decades. Maybe some of you here can recall these people, as I remember thm being something like this:

Fordhams (the grocers). Sugar wrapped in blue cornet shaped bags.
Leatherdales(bakers)Lovely Chelsea buns. Split cream buns. Whatever happened to them?

Lucette De Paris(classy eh)? Hairdressers, she went on to marry Dr. Radclyffe.

Fanny Price(greengrocers) she also had another shop nearby in Swan Street.

Franks(hardware,Paraffin)shop. The legendary Frank and his wife (Renee)? Always dressed businesslike and a smile on his face. Somewhere in another universe, Frank is still out there, I just know it.

Shoemenders. Disabled son had one of those blue three wheeler cars with a cellophane type windows.

Wally's sweetshop. Penny drinks from a "Fling" machine. Never seen one before or since. Money back deposit on bottles, penny ball machine in the corner. Penny chews, blackjacks four a penny, licorice sticks, boiled sweets from glass jars. He drove a lovely blue Austin car.

Gibbons/Beedons newsagents. (There were shops in between but I can't recall them for the moment. (I dont like to Google these things preferring to use my memory).

Chemist then pub. Royal Standard? No, I think that was at the Falmouth Road end.

You could pull in safely to the shops as it was paved off, but nobody had a car! No telephones, B&W 9" Pye TV. (Sorry that's wrong. Had to visit our nan's for that) before colour tv.
Saturday 28 March 2020 1.18pm
I can remember the row of shops canít remember them all there was a greengrocer the pub at the end had an separate off licence bit you could go in opposite the pub in Falmouth Road was a clinic Also can anyone remember I think it was on this side of the road a barberís Shop I used to get my hair cut here regularly trying to remember I was very young at the time think he was quiet an old guy.
I was down in January had a walk through jail park onto Harper road looked along should have went and had a walk along.
Just remembered there a was a shop that sold bags of coal/coke my mum used to send me on my little red scooter from Avonmouth Street were I lived to get a bag hang it over the scooter put my foot on it and try to get it home the bag of coal weighed more than me fell off I donít know how many times I only weighed about two stone then relied on the good will of passers by to help me lift it back on.
Saturday 28 March 2020 1.48pm
Dr.Stone was in marshalsea rd. I'm sure, he was my sister in laws doctor, also a Chiropractor as he told all and sundry by all accounts. Sure he practised to a great age.Georgie Gibbons lived in bartholomew street before I moved in.
Such familiar names and memories. Remember attending Billy Grahams meeting in a big tent , where Newell house is now, corner of Bath Terrace. Remember veg.shop in swan street being taken over by Joan Amodio in seventies.
Do you remember the Salvation Army place part of the estate near parade of shops?
Monday 30 March 2020 5.02pm
Glenn, the clinic on Falmouth was where Dr. Radcliffe moved into from Harper Road. There was a pub called the Royal Standard, not sure if this is the one you mean. At the other end at County street is The Rising Sun pub. The barbers may have been in Ralph Street about opposite Beedons/Gibbons sweet shop. It had another sweet shop,Rosies?, not sure, and a small corner shop/dairy on the end of Ralph Street. Sometimes had metal crates outside with Sterilised Milk, which had metal beer bottle like tops. There is a film on Youtube called "Adventures in the hop fields" from 1954, which shows Ralph Street, Bath Terrace with the bombsite, along with St. Georges circus (top of London Road) Se1.
Not sure about the bags of coal, I can only remember the coal yard at Arch St. Elephant & Castle (top or Rockingham Street) and a place called Trappits in Long Lane, same side as Maxwell's Bagwash, where we used to push our pram for coal.
Jan, thanks for reminding me it was Dr. Stone. I am struggling with the Salvation Army. Was it at Crossways, top of Falmouth Road/New Kent Road?
The Salvation Army would play music around the streets, to collect money for good causes. One of the singers in the SA was Terry Dean. He entered the Hit Parade with a minor hit with the song A White Sport Coat He was heralded as Britain's answer to Elvis, at the time! My sister was at school with him, but couldn't recall anything stand out about him. Except to say that he married the actress Edna Savage.
Tuesday 31 March 2020 4.58am
Think your right about the barbers Lewins it was in about there the pub was the one at the end of the row of shops across the road took up the whole corner.
Thanks for putting us on the YouTube film enjoyed it recognised some streets especially Bath terrace tenements I knew a family in there I used to go and see also noticed when I was down Newington Gardens (Jail park) the swing park has gone.
Tuesday 31 March 2020 5.43pm
If you stood on corner of Falmouth road at the crossways with Harper road. Looked to the right where shops are..standing near where surgery is now.the Sally Army entrance was through doors that was integral part of the estate. My grandmother was fixated with giving the major the eggs that my aunts had bought home to give to her niece and nephews who were orphans!
A white sports coat and a pink carnation! Remember it well. Will now have to google Edna savage!
Can't remember Fordhams grocery. In long lane there was a wonderful grocery store called Fogdens we were sent around to get my Mums only treat 4 ounces of butter that lasted her over a week, they boned the bacon ,sold the bacon bones which were delicious...and next door was also Fogdens general hardware shop, sold white wash for walls, sand paper ,nails by the quarter then Pink Parafin...
Thursday 2 April 2020 11.38am
Just to say that the Blue Moon supermarket currently at the Falmouth Road end of the row of shops is doing an excellent job of providing virtually all food and drink necessities during the coronavirus crisis. Deserves support.
Sunday 5 April 2020 10.12am
Jan the old one wrote:
Dr.Stone was in marshalsea rd. I'm sure, he was my sister in laws doctor, also a Chiropractor as he told all and sundry by all accounts. Sure he practised to a great age.Georgie Gibbons lived in bartholomew street before I moved in.
Such familiar names and memories. Remember attending Billy Grahams meeting in a big tent , where Newell house is now, corner of Bath Terrace. Remember veg.shop in swan street being taken over by Joan Amodio in seventies.
Do you remember the Salvation Army place part of the estate near parade of shops?

He was my Dr as a kid. I think he was Millwall's Physio as well for a bit. I'm surprised Radclyffe was married, he was very flirty with the female staff/Drs from what I remember, fancied himself a bit. Always had him down as a player, though he was no Cary Grant.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions