London SE1 community website

Support our Pubs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 April 2020 12.18pm
The Spit and Sawdust has a page on Facebook stating they are giving there Beers away..Thursday 16th. They have worked so hard and obviously can't serve any customers. I don't know how they are doing it but they don'twant the delicious ales to wasre. You can make a donation.

The Spit and Sawdust is in Bartholomew Street, SE1 4aj...
Tuesday 14 April 2020 11.25pm
Jan the old one wrote:
The Spit and Sawdust has a page on Facebook stating they are giving there Beers away..Thursday 16th. They have worked so hard and obviously can't serve any customers. I don't know how they are doing it but they don'twant the delicious ales to wasre. You can make a donation.
The Spit and Sawdust is in Bartholomew Street, SE1 4aj...

The beer contained in kegs held in pub cellars will soon go off, meaning it will have to be disposed of.

It is estimated that 50M pints languish in pub cellars.

This disposal will not be carried out for free; the pubs will not be allowed to pour it down the drains: they will have to rely on a commercial service and it won't be cheap.

So handing it out sounds like a nice gesture benefiting both drinkers as well as publicans, given that it is already a total loss for the pubs and breweries.

What remains to be ascertained, though, is whether leaving one's home to pick up some free beer is compliant to the social distancing rules currently in effect: perhaps we will see an orderly queue of people outside the pub, with each person maintaining a 2mt distance from those in front and behind them, while carrying a container to fill with the beer.

Please note that the beer is not quite free, but is 'Pay What You Want'.

Wednesday 15 April 2020 3.40pm
It will a return to the Jug Bar of the forties! Going in and getting your jug filled up...shame the old beer could not be used as fertiliser in gardens, if I still lived at number 11 I'd be their with my barrel....well the gardens were large!
Wednesday 29 April 2020 8.00am
The Gladstone is now also doing this, each weekend.
Wednesday 6 May 2020 4.09pm
Both times I've been to Spit & Sawdust to help clear their beer, everyone has queued outside keeping a good distance. One person or couple was allowed just inside the door at a time.
Tuesday 26 May 2020 3.13pm
The Rose on Weston St is doing a roaring trade of takeaway pints

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions