London SE1 community website

Improving Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 6 May 2020 7.18pm
Good evening, SE1 people. I hope you are surviving the lockdown - hopefully not too much longer to go.

There is a proposal to pedestrianise Bermondsey Street, which would result in cleaner air, less noise and safer streets. Please register your support at bit [dot] ly [slash] 3eU51Wz

Thanks.
Thursday 7 May 2020 4.25pm
So when your plumbing - electrics - deliveries et al are wanted how is this accounted for.

If you create enough parking spaces Iím happy but as it will be taking longer of my time to get to your home to garden - deliver say - Iíll push prices up.

Cloud cookoo land.
Thursday 7 May 2020 8.15pm
Obviously service vehicles would be allowed, as on any of the many pedestrianised streets around the world.

What would change is that Bermondsey Street would stop being used as a rat run to avoid the traffic on Tower Bridge Road and encourage more walking and cycling in the process.
Thursday 7 May 2020 8.56pm
batgirl wrote:
Obviously service vehicles would be allowed, as on any of the many pedestrianised streets around the world.
What would change is that Bermondsey Street would stop being used as a rat run to avoid the traffic on Tower Bridge Road and encourage more walking and cycling in the process.

Hi Bat Girl - who hides - my name is Leighton James Giles. Service - I do t understand why you potentially would need ďservicingĒ. Please explain .
Thursday 7 May 2020 9.58pm
I have lived right above the Elephant & Castle for over 31 years, and I have never breathed here such a clean air as I am now, due to the significantly reduced motor vehicle traffic under the current lockdown.

Surely we can all take home some lessons from what is happening right now: it is said that life will never be the same after this pandemic, so let us take into account what is worth holding on to.

Fewer cars on the road is certainly something worth retaining.
Thursday 7 May 2020 10.06pm
This idea was mooted many years ago on this Forum, originall idea to open only to cyclists if my memory serves me right ( and it may not!) this thoroughfare has been used for hundreds of years. Trinity street was closed to traffic many years ago and traffic increased down great Dover street, and New ?Kent rd. It would affect many other roads including inevitable air pollution to households. It is a narrow road so is bartholomew street with houses two hundred years old, coaches ,lorries park up frequently. No one closed that street or even made it one way. Access is from both ends..new Kent road and great Dover street...if you move to a London address your going to have to accept traffic.

It's swings and roundabouts , I had to move three yeas ago for health reasons. I miss the noise, the bustle,my neighbours....all the interesting places on our doorstep in London.
Every single second of every single day! Wish I was back there...
Friday 8 May 2020 9.42am
Im a fan of this I think the street would be a much nicer place, batgirl please can you post the link I canít get it to work ?
Friday 8 May 2020 3.19pm
Hi all,

I can't post web links on this forum, so you will need to take the following text, and replace [dot] with a dot and [slash] with a slash making sure to remove any spaces:

bit [dot] ly [slash] 3eU51Wz

Thanks for supporting this. I think it will have an enormous positive impact on the area.
Friday 8 May 2020 4.41pm
batgirl wrote:
Hi all,
I can't post web links on this forum, so you will need to take the following text, and replace [dot] with a dot and [slash] with a slash making sure to remove any spaces:

bit [dot] ly [slash] 3eU51Wz

Thanks for supporting this. I think it will have an enormous positive impact on the area.

That site only gives an option to 'agree with this comment', and no option to 'disagree with this comment' - so (regardless of my own views) it's a bit biased!
Saturday 9 May 2020 3.24pm
Efforts were made to pedestrianise soho some years back. It robbed the bars, shops and businesses of customers and seriously altered the inner city ďvibeĒ the area is famous for. Plans were abandoned it was not surburbia after all. Nor is Bermondsey street. Pedestrianisation would kill the atmosphere and turn the street into a tourist suburb. Yuck. If itís too busy for you go and live in the suburbs.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions