London SE1 community website

Price gouging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 May 2020 11.22am
I went into Londis at 53 Borough High Street yesterday to get a bottle of water and the lady in front of me asked if they had any hand sanitiser and the assistant pointed to a large collection of 100ml bottles on the shelf behind the counter. She asked how much and he replied £13. An absolute disgrace! Profiteering from panic. Boots chemists are selling 50ml bottles for £1.49. I hope when this pandemic is over people will remember those who tried to profit from other peoples fears.
I have reported it to Trading Standards.
P.S. the 500ml bottle of water was £1.29.
Friday 8 May 2020 2.32pm
Well done for reporting them. As for water, I use a Brita and cartridge (or cheaper non branded version in my case) to fill up a recyclable bottle. I dont understand why people encourage bringing bottled water from France and the like, when there is a clean water supply and cheaper solution here.
Friday 8 May 2020 5.04pm
you can get hand sanitiser in Boots at waterloo station and antiseptic hand wash gel/soap for £1

NB : for effectiveness in killing viruses ensure any hand sanitiser you use is over 60% alcohol
Monday 11 May 2020 3.22pm
I find it hard to believe that any store would ask £13 for hand sanitiser, no matter how much profit they wanted to make.
Itís a definite case of more fool you, if you buy it at that price.
Tuesday 12 May 2020 10.28am
70% is the preferred level of alcohol in a hand sanitiser/cleanser. Also check that the product conforms to BS EN 1276 and BS EN 1500. If it meets these two requirements it will be stated on the label and it means that the product has been independently tested to prove that it will actually work.
Tuesday 12 May 2020 11.39am
bmovie wrote:
70% is the preferred level of alcohol in a hand sanitiser/cleanser. Also check that the product conforms to BS EN 1276 and BS EN 1500. If it meets these two requirements it will be stated on the label and it means that the product has been independently tested to prove that it will actually work.

With that amount of alcohol you'd better NOT follow President Trump's advice and swallow it.
Tuesday 12 May 2020 6.11pm
John C wrote:
bmovie wrote:

With that amount of alcohol you'd better NOT follow President Trump's advice and swallow it.

The alcohol used in hand sanitizer/cleanser is denatured, in the ingredient list shown as Alcohol Denat. If the product is drunk/ingested it will immediately cause vomiting and taste incredibly bitter. Continued ingestion will cause neurological damage, blindness and possibly death.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions