Travelodge have revised their planning application to build a 33M tall, 9-storey hotel on Tanner Street. As some of you may already know, this development will have a significant and overwhelming impact on the surrounding area, and we need you to help communicate your views before the final consultation period closes on Thursday, 18 June 2020.
There are many reasons you may object to this application, but here are some obvious ones that meet the Planning Guidelines.
• Overdominance of visitor accommodation will harm the character and functioning of our area - there are already 23 hotels and apartments within a ~1km radius of the site, increasing to 58 within 2km, including 3 Travelodge properties. These numbers exclude multiple Airbnb and private rental options. The borough has already met its target for new visitor accommodation for the period until 2026.
• Noise and disturbance from ~200 visitors arriving and departing 24/7 356 days a year - not to mention trucks picking up multiple forms of waste, delivering linen, food, beverages plus other supplies and services to a fully operational 73-room hotel.
• Increased incidence of crimes such as theft, muggings, harassment and antisocial behaviour
• Site access issues and traffic generation in an area already suffering serious congestion - including a huge increase of taxis/coaches/private cars delivering and collecting visitors at all hours.
• Unacceptable safety risks for local pedestrians, cyclists and other road users - owing to suggested on-street servicing; blocking road, path and cycleways for long periods of time and forcing people to overtake or enter the road into oncoming traffic.
• Loss of light, privacy and outlook from an oversized building which overshadows the vicinity
• Addition of unsightly rooftop Plant Room adding to the increased noise and air pollution
• Visual amenity rendering our residential area and properties far less attractive places to live
• Smells from restaurant ventilation and the enormous amount of litter that will be generated and outside smoking
• Negligible new employment versus the previously approved office development - despite this being one of the leading reasons Southwark Council initially approved the previous office development.
The developer Deco Design and Build Ltd has loaded ~100 carefully scripted documents on Southwark Council’s planning portal outlining why their application to build a Travelodge Hotel is more attractive than the previously approved 9 floor office building. The negative impact of a fully operating hotel open 365 days a year with requirements for 24/7 vehicle access, versus the previously consented office building operating normal hours on weekdays is blatantly obvious. It will be extremely detrimental and will undoubtedly destroy our right to peaceful enjoyment of the neighbourhood.
You need to act now to oppose this application!
Please CLICK HERE to be taken to the council application page to submit your comments before Thursday 18th June 2020.