London SE1 community website

Watch House Shad Thames planning permission appeal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 5 June 2020 7.29pm
Hi - I just wanted to do my bit for local business with this post. The Watch House at Shad Thames has a change of use planning permission appeal going on which will allow the place to serve brunch which for some reason Southwark Council denied. It's been a great addition to the local area and must have been going through a tough time recently through no fault of their own. It sounds like the success of the appeal is going to be important to the place remaining open. If you agree please take the trouble to make a representation to the Council. The case number is APP/A5840/C/20/3245109
Thanks

Tim
Saturday 6 June 2020 2.23pm
I can't find the application on the portal unfortunately. However, it looks like last year The Watch House had an application for change of use from A1 to A3 refused. I've never fully understood why, but A3 licenses (required to cook food on site) are very hard to obtain in London. In this case, the application looks to have been refused because of the detrimental impact that the odour of food would have on the local neighbours and environment. There are a large number of neighbours writing comments to object.

I'd happily write a supportive comment if possible, but this case seems to sum up the planning challenges and NIMBYism that most small business face!

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions