London SE1 community website

St James Supermarket

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 30 June 2020 12.48pm
Hi there - after many suspicions on total price when I've shopped there in the past. I was offered a receipt for my purchases from this supermarket. I said yes and didnt get an itemised one so asked for an itemised one and all it said was frozen food, frozen food, frozen food, frozen food. They've added about 4 onto my shopping. This is a shame as the prices on the products seem good. After years of going there and trusting them I feel like a right mug. They also hide the till. Beware - they will rob you!
Tuesday 30 June 2020 10.54pm
Julia, I had a similar experience 2 weekends ago at the same Turkish grocery. I go there sometimes for the bread, and items from the butcher and deli. The last time it was well over the normal price at checkout. As I was paying I quizzed the young lady at the register if there was a mistake but she barely looked at the items before saying no. Im the type whod hold up the queue to get a price check, but because of Covid, Id rather get out of the busy store. Will also avoid the store at least until after Covid and I receive better reports.

Separately but maybe related, Bell and Sons prices have also gone up 15% and when Ive asked, theyve said wholesale prices have gone up. Who knows - but with their long queues, I will moderate my shopping there as well.
Friday 3 July 2020 9.40am
I've been going to St James Supermarket occasionally for years and not had a worry about overcharging. 4 overcharge is not good. They do not have advanced tills so do not have every item stored and scanned so I always mentally add up my shopping.

At the Tesco opposite, where they have modern tilling, every 3rd or 4th shop something is not tilled up correctly. I always check my receipt there.

The only time I've had to queue at Bell & Sons was a Saturday morning, for five minutes. Being in the square, rather than the pavement, distancing is not an issue. Bells also do local deliveries on their electric bike (free under 30) via their website too.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions