London SE1 community website

Thames Water - Blackfriars/Palestra

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 6 July 2020 6.39pm
Is anyone else getting really fed up with how long these works are going on for? Does anyone know how long they are going to go on for? The latest update to the signage said 16 June. Obviously already out of date! I am surprised that neither TFL or Thames Water or Southwark Council have been in contact with local residents about it. I do know the works are easier said than done, but communication has been distinctly lacking.
Related news & features
Wednesday 15 July 2020 3.25pm
It has re-opened at last
Friday 17 July 2020 9.28am
Having been hindered by the roadworks for so long I cannot recall when the watermain burst. It seems like six months ago but that cannot be so, surely?

There is no way Thames Water would take that long to complete the job, is there?

Please, somebody put this Covid -19 befuddled poster's mind at rest and supply the definitive answer.
Friday 17 July 2020 8.06pm
The burst water main first occurred on 21 January. Feels like an AGE ago now!
Saturday 18 July 2020 10.07am
Thank you TayoChloe.
So, it was almost six months.
Well done Thames Water. I am surprised that your tardiness did not make the national news, papers, radio and TV. Definitely don't tender for any contracts for road repairs in Tokyo or Beijing for there a week is too long.

An apology from Thames Water would not go amiss, as would an explanation from TfL, overlooking the site from Paelestra must have got them asking questions and the answers could have been relayed to the suffering public who end up paying for it .
Monday 20 July 2020 7.52am
I am sure the apology and explanation by Thames Water on Sunday was not a response to my belief that an apology would not go amiss which I posted on Saturday. If it was such a response then it shows TW can move at speed when it wants to do so.
I cannot remember an apology ever being made on this forum for the time taken for the repair, but such a delay and the inconvenience suffered could have been mitigated somewhat by the explanation we have only just received now the job is completed.

Well done Thames Water and thank you for all your news updates.
Sunday 9 August 2020 11.24am
The whole experience was pretty painful. I live a 20 second walk from the junction, behind the Anchor and Hope pub, and I never received any communication from Thames Water or anyone.

I did email TFL, and they responded with the standard line "it was a complicated job...". I get that, however it was sat empty and vacant for months on end during the lockdown and for a long period after. Furthermore, the generator they were using to power the cabins was pumping horrible diesel fumes directly in to surrounding properties, and has left stains on the highway.

Hey ho. Live in hope that they pull their trousers up and get on with it next time.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions