London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 29 August 2020 2.07pm
Neil Coyle's language was inappropriate and he has since rightly apologised.

But what's with the faux outrage demanding that he resign? I doubt anyone is as deeply outraged as they are making out. It's a pity that their anger is not directed at the shambles that is our current leadership - be it their handling of school grades, COVID-19, PPE mis-spending, Brexit negotiations, immigration populism, and just general cronyism. It's funny we've not seen a single ministerial resignation on these matters but apparently using bad language is far more worse...
Sunday 30 August 2020 6.45am
dharle wrote:
Neil Coyle's language was inappropriate and he has since rightly apologised.
But what's with the faux outrage demanding that he resign? I doubt anyone is as deeply outraged as they are making out. It's a pity that their anger is not directed at the shambles that is our current leadership - be it their handling of school grades, COVID-19, PPE mis-spending, Brexit negotiations, immigration populism, and just general cronyism. It's funny we've not seen a single ministerial resignation on these matters but apparently using bad language is far more worse...

Fair points, but I've said it before......the gig's too big for him.
Tuesday 1 September 2020 2.33pm
NC is an elected representative of a party which supposedly represents and champions the working class. His now-deleted comments show contempt and disdain for those very people. Why would there not be outrage among those people who identify as traditional Labour voters upon being told by one of their own, in essence, that they are stupid imbeciles and far worse?

Just because his outburst is virtual doesn't make it better. What if this outburst of obscenities occurred at a bus stop? If Neil were at the bus stop drunkenly calling someone a prick - a constituent, perhaps - there might be a different light cast on his egregious behaviour.
Wednesday 2 September 2020 8.41am
I think this deterioration in the behaviour of our elected reps could eventually lead to Latin (perhaps) style fighting in Parliament.

Every cloud....
Wednesday 2 September 2020 10.52pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
NC is an elected representative of a party which supposedly represents and champions the working class. His now-deleted comments show contempt and disdain for those very people. Why would there not be outrage among those people who identify as traditional Labour voters upon being told by one of their own, in essence, that they are stupid imbeciles and far worse?

Eh? Neil Coyle represents a consitutency that is overwhelmingly Pro-Remain. I'm a bit confused as to how he is some how showing disdain.

I have no problem with what Neil said - I think he is speaking the truth. In my view, Brexit has been nothing more than about immigration - couched in vague populist language like 'controlling our borders' or 'regaining our sovereignty' etc. Time will tell (especially if there is No Deal) whether it was worth it. I suspect not.
Thursday 3 September 2020 6.24am
dharle wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:

Eh? Neil Coyle represents a consitutency that is overwhelmingly Pro-Remain. I'm a bit confused as to how he is some how showing disdain.

I have no problem with what Neil said - I think he is speaking the truth. In my view, Brexit has been nothing more than about immigration - couched in vague populist language like 'controlling our borders' or 'regaining our sovereignty' etc. Time will tell (especially if there is No Deal) whether it was worth it. I suspect not.

Of course it was about immigration. It was certainly about the exploitation of people for me.
Get on your jet, as opposed to "get on ya bike".
They closed down the industries of the North in this country so people had to travel South for work. I wasn't over the moon that my wages were held back as a result, but I understood who was to blame, and it wasn't the workers! They called it the Nrth South divide, and divide it did!!
They've done exactly the same with the EU just on a much larger scale.
So yes, it is about immigration, that doesn't mean hating on immigrants though.

They didn't change the wording from free movement of labour to free movement of people for nothing.

PS: I heard some good stuff Coyle has been doing for a local resident, I'm close to taking it all back!!
Friday 4 September 2020 5.56pm
Dharle wrote:

He is indeed showing disdain. His comments are also directed at some 35,000 in Southwark (albeit split over two Parliamentary constituencies) who voted Leave.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions