London SE1 community website

Best vet for cats?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 12 September 2020 3.45pm
Hi, there's an old thread about vets in the area but was hoping for something more recent in terms of feedback and experience.

I have two lovely little adopted floofball kitties who need registering with a vet locally.

I would've done this sooner but for lockdown meaning non-essential visits would've been a risk. Now they are actually due their 1 year follow up booster vaccinations so I can't really hold off. Both are indoor only and I don't drive so accessibility from Southwark Station area is imperative too.

Where have people have positive and negative experiences recently, ideally with cats.
I see there's a cat only clinic in Bermondsey as well as a more general one?

As they're Persian types, I am hoping to also stay on top of potential longer term health issues they might suffer which I would hope a suitably skilled and experienced vet would be able to deal with proactively.

They were adopted from an overseas rescue so no local "breeder knowledge" or information is available to me directly. Yes, sadly, in some countries, kittens with ringworm get binned on the street as too much of an expense and hassle to treat before selling but fortunately they were rescued and cared for by cat lovers there and offered for adoption to a country with slightly better animal welfare laws!

I am the blessed recipient of the good fortune as they are, naturally, absolutely adorable! I just want to ensure they stay as healthy and happy as they currently are.

Thanks in advance!
Saturday 12 September 2020 5.46pm
I have two cats, which are registered with pets for vets in the old Kent road. All my previous cats were register at the branch as well.
Very helpful staff and the vets have taken great care with my cats. pets at home also have a scheme that you can pay so much a month for various types of treatments. . They also have a website that will show you the treatments they can offer.
Hope this information helps
Sunday 13 September 2020 1.34pm
I have had very good experiences with the London Cat Clinic in Spa Road https://www.thelondoncatclinic.co.uk/

Being cat only helps, I think, and I have always been impressed by their friendly and professional approach and their excellent facilities. I have had two cats under their care, the first had complex problems including a pace-maker and diabetes. The second more routine. In both cases I have found their care second-to-none.
Tuesday 15 September 2020 4.51pm
bermond wrote:
I have had very good experiences with the London Cat Clinic in Spa Road https://www.thelondoncatclinic.co.uk/
Being cat only helps, I think, and I have always been impressed by their friendly and professional approach and their excellent facilities. I have had two cats under their care, the first had complex problems including a pace-maker and diabetes. The second more routine. In both cases I have found their care second-to-none.

I am catslave and servant to a ferocious and capricious feline, and I take her to the London Cat Clinic on Spa Road. I echo bermond's comments about the staff being very professional and kind to my cat.
Saturday 19 September 2020 3.43pm
Puffin wrote:
I have two cats, which are registered with pets for vets in the old Kent road. All my previous cats were register at the branch as well.
Very helpful staff and the vets have taken great care with my cats. pets at home also have a scheme that you can pay so much a month for various types of treatments. . They also have a website that will show you the treatments they can offer.
Hope this information helps

Thanks Puffin : I don't tend to need to pay in instalments as I have purchased comprehensive insurance (though it doesn't cover dental) and have money put aside too, I'm more worried about the distance to the vet in the case of OKR as it's further than at least 4 other practices I've identified, those being the London Cat Clinic and the Medivet in Bermondsey, Goddard's in Kennington and even the Medivet in Clerkenwell all of which are under 10 minutes by car/taxi and potentially 30mins by pet pram!

But I'll check out their site now and see!
Saturday 19 September 2020 3.47pm
juanita wrote:
bermond wrote:
I have had very good experiences with the London Cat Clinic in Spa Road https://www.thelondoncatclinic.co.uk/
Being cat only helps, I think, and I have always been impressed by their friendly and professional approach and their excellent facilities. I have had two cats under their care, the first had complex problems including a pace-maker and diabetes. The second more routine. In both cases I have found their care second-to-none.

I am catslave and servant to a ferocious and capricious feline, and I take her to the London Cat Clinic on Spa Road. I echo bermond's comments about the staff being very professional and kind to my cat.

Excellent! 2 votes for for the Cat Clinic. Have either of you used a different vet locally and how would you compare overall general costs? I'm only a bit cautious that specialising might make them charge more for their services compared to a non-specialist clinic and such things can, of course, add up. It's frustrating that most don't list basic prices for check ups/prescription writing/tests etc making it hard to compare.

It's like looking up plastic surgery! (Yes, I know, I've googled!)

Thanks. I hope a few more people might have insight and experience, just because I do want the best and most comprehensive care for my babies, and I've been procrastinating this decision for way too long!

I'm sure you can all understand though, esp with the added complication of lock down and worrying about transport/not being able to stay with my babies when they're checked over!

Marge xxx
Tuesday 22 September 2020 9.12am
Hi Marg, we’ve had our two furry felines registered with exAndrew Kirby now Medivet on Grange Road since adopting them from Battersea 12 happy years ago. They do seem to have a high turnover of vets, but we have only had very caring and responsive treatment from them. Nothing has been too much trouble for them, none of our cat-pawrent neurotic queries have been too dim for them to explain patiently to us. Plus they are keen to reassure us by bringing in ailing feline for a check up to reassure us. Previously opening hours were superb, 7 days a week, I don’t think they open on sundays any longer, but we did have an excellent telephone consultation during the strict lockdown about one item of concern.
No connection etc.
Thursday 24 September 2020 9.47pm
We used Goddards on Kennington Rd for years, but then discovered Dr Jeremy at the London Cat Clinic. While we'd been satisfied with the care at Goddard's, the Cat Clinic is in another league. The facilities, equipment and care are outstanding there.
Wednesday 30 September 2020 11.03am
Used Grange Road (was Andrew Kirby and now part of Medivet) for 15 years+. No issues. I don't know how it compares pricewise with the Cat Clinic... would be interested to know if anyone can share?

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions