London SE1 community website

Leathermarket - bin collection during unsociable hours

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 September 2020 6.49pm
Has anyone been impacted by Bywaters rubbish collection around City Walk / Long Lane / Weston Street at stupid hours collecting rubbish from area around Leathermarket - recently they came around 4 am!? I've seen previous threads in here about this issue but they're from 2012 and now it looks like they're back ...

Anyone else experiencing it and knows what can be done or help me complain please? :)

thanks!
Wednesday 16 September 2020 10.04pm
Kara has it been like that since tower bridge has closed? Perhaps the traffic is too bad if they try later...
Thursday 17 September 2020 7.58am
Complain direct to the business they're collecting from and ask them to have the collection time changed. It's a never-ending issue in Burrell Street with something in the region of a dozen a day, as there are so many businesses, so I know how disturbing it is. Good luck.
Thursday 17 September 2020 11.28am
I've tried already but both Workspace and Bywaters say that it's due to the contract ... I may start a petition then :D
Thursday 17 September 2020 1.30pm
Haha - that's a good one! The client can tell Bywaters to collect at a more reasonable time and I only know that because a local business did the same when we complained about 4am collections. When Bywsters refused to change the time he said he'd cancel the contract - that focused their minds.
Thursday 17 September 2020 2.16pm
Isn't the law clear on this ?(I fear a "haha - that's a good one") :)

Don't they need special dispensation to create noise out of legal hours? Southwark Council noise team might be an option to look into, for advice at least. They are back in operation.
Monday 21 September 2020 9.53am
Thanks Suziq! Very helpful!! I'll see how we get on and I try again :)
boroughonian - I spoke to the council and they don't want to get involved as it's on private premises ... So an interesting one!
Tuesday 22 September 2020 5.06pm
Karo,
You should not accept the excuse that it's on private premises. The whole point is that the noise is creating a public nuisance not a private one.
If a resident in a private flat was creating so much noise by partying every night the noise team would investigate and use the legal powers that it has at its command to stop the nuisance even though it emanates from a private property.
It seems to me that you have spoken to a council employee who doesn't want to do their job.

PERSIST.
Thursday 24 September 2020 2.40pm
About 3 years ago I spent several hours corresponding with the manager at The Leathermarket about this subject. At that time they had changed the route of the bins and were collecting in the early hours of the morning.
I managed to get them to change it to 10am, and was unaware this had changed.
that was agreed with Bywaters and The Leathermarket. I do not have the new manager's name of The Leathermarket.
To summarise, Bywaters CAN change their time for collection although it does take a lot of time to get their agreement.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions