London SE1 community website

Decima Street Surgery

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 25 September 2020 11.28am
I am in telephone queue for over fifteen minutes. I finally speak to someone and ask for a GP appointment. Iím told there are none available. I ask why. I am told that if I call back at 13:30 there will be appointments available.

Iím unclear as to why after 2H20mins there will be appointments.

Last week I went to the surgery to request an appointment and was told that I had to telephone.
Friday 25 September 2020 1.35pm
I recently changed GPs after the Borough Road practice closed. My experience at that practice was sometimes similar to what you describe and occasionally very frustrating. I transferred to Falmouth Road, and a few days ago I needed an appointment. My call was answered quickly, I was asked for a brief description of the reason for my call, and told that a GP would get back to me, which they did within a hour or so. Friendly and efficient after dealing with Borough Road for years!
Friday 25 September 2020 5.31pm
16:47 I called. In queue for forty minutes before my mobile timed out.

Presumably if I call on Monday morning there will be no appointments available. It is impossible to go to surgery and book an appointment in person.

Can someone explain to me where I am going wrong.
Friday 25 September 2020 9.36pm
Paul...go into reception at opening time....ask for appointment....if told to phone sit down near reception and wait..phone for appointment in queue...take charger with you sit near socket...they may take hint.
When I moved to Derby and after registering few weeks after being near surgery asked for appointment. Told by reception that appointments have to be made by phone. I sat down four feet from her and phoned....and got appointment!
Monday 28 September 2020 8.50am
we use minor injuries on guys ground floor. very little waiting in current environment. the major commissioning group decima/artesian are part of is a complete disaster and was placed in special measures. find a small independent surgery and transfer there. i'm not telling you where but just make sure they are not part of the cockup that is nexus.
Tuesday 29 September 2020 2.11pm
Yes, they are a nightmare. They have a system they don't tell you about and their website says it's something else. During the pandemic, they seem to have been doing phone consultations, bookable only on the day. They open up slots in two batches - morning and afternoon. It appears you have to call at exactly the times when they open the slots, wait in a queue, and then you will get a GP call back. Obviously, if you have anything else happening that morning or afternoon you need to be able to drop it to speak to the GP. The two time slots seem to be 8am and 1.30pm. I called at 8.00 on the dot, was 4th in the queue, and got a call back at about 11am. They then sent me to another location for a physical examination the following day.

They have been awful for appointments for years. I used to go to Guy's minor injuries for anything that seemed even half way viable (I've stopped doing this as it seems sensible to avoid hospitals at the moment), but for regular GP stuff you have to fight through this.

I have looked for a local independent surgery but haven't been able to find one that covers my area.
Saturday 10 October 2020 5.20pm
Like the Artesian Health Centre (which I think they're associated) utterly hopeless - is this a problem with underfunding of the NHS or GPs taking on more patients than they can possibly deal with (or both). Finally kicked them into touch earlier this year and moved!
Saturday 10 October 2020 6.32pm
John Stanley wrote:
Like the Artesian Health Centre (which I think they're associated) utterly hopeless - is this a problem with underfunding of the NHS or GPs taking on more patients than they can possibly deal with (or both). Finally kicked them into touch earlier this year and moved!

I feel its just down to bad management.
Falmouth Road surgery used to be a total nightmare. It has managed to turn itself around but it needed a total change of staff etc to allow it to become so much better.
Tuesday 13 October 2020 10.50am
Falmouth road is terrible
Tuesday 13 October 2020 12.07pm
onlyme73 wrote:
Falmouth road is terrible

What makes them so, from your experience?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions