London SE1 community website

Allotments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 27 September 2020 11.11am
I'm moving back into SE1 in October and would like to get an allotment or similar space.

I am looking for an affordable small plot of land or some private outside space to rent, where I can pursue two of my passions, gardening and creating art (painting & sculpture). I would need space to grow herbs, vegetables and fruit etc and I need a sheltered space for storage and perhaps to sit and paint etc. such as a small shed.

I have looked for allotments but they seem to be oversubscribed in Southwark with long or closed waiting lists unless anyone knows of anywhere that isn't?

I have heard some people rent out garden plots privately and unused pieces of land not suitable for other purposes do sometimes become available for rent. I am very open minded about location and it doesn't have to be local as long as I can get there by train or bicycle.

Any suggestions welcome!

rob
Tuesday 29 September 2020 1.56pm
I'm in the queue for my postcode's allotments.... one year and counting. I understand that some lists move quicker than others so maybe worth putting your name down anyway.
Info about available lists: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parks-and-open-spaces/gardening-growing-and-conservation?chapter=2
If you find a quicker way forward I'd be interested to know as I'm really keen to grow more veg than my current "yarden" allows...
Tuesday 29 September 2020 11.11pm
If there is any unused green area locally, can try and get funding via the ‘cleaner greener safer’ award via southwark council which is currently open, more info

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/engagement-and-consultations/grants-and-funding/cleaner-greener-safer
ldw
Thursday 1 October 2020 3.39pm
funds re Cleaner Greener Safer are for community projects not private schemes

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions