London SE1 community website

Birth certificate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 September 2020 3.22pm
It's me again....my nickname may accurate concerning my years, but hopefully not my mental state!

Just had my daughter on the phone needing her birth certificate quickly..her first name is Charity...I reminded her that her second Christian name Was Claire...she implied I was losing the plot...at no time did she have a second! Incredibly miffed I have just applied for her to be sent certificate...

Doing my normal waffling bit...and going all around the houses via M25...how long does it take?

Can't find direct line to registrars...
Tuesday 29 September 2020 4.47pm
Jan,
Try General Register Office - Gov.uk

If you haven't seen an original copy for many years you may find all is not what you believe.
Your daughter may have been registered as Charity and only Charity and then have had the name of Claire added when she was baptised. A baptismal certificate will illustrate that. If you haven't got one you could trace the event through the records where the baptism took place.

Good luck in your search and I am so pleased to see that you are still in good form mentally.
Friday 2 October 2020 12.00pm
Thank you Bunhouse...I have been steered into direction of Gro..about eight years ago I found just to check records it had been moved to British Library...went there and found I missed experience of lugging out massive ledgers to check details etc. Now you sit and check micro fiche! Losing the excitement and thrill f spotting the name your looking for!

I now remember a friend telling me there was religious organisation called The Poor Sisters of Charity Claire..Which I was unaware of! My religious education is sadly lacking!
Saturday 3 October 2020 12.36pm
Jan. I do a lot of family research and buy all the certificates I need online via the GRO. They take about 7 days to arrive.
Saturday 3 October 2020 6.15pm
Thank you RosieF...lot quicker than the stated 15 days from Southwark...
Definitely going to go Gro in future!...
Sunday 4 October 2020 1.23pm
My husband needed his mother's death certificate around two months ago., so he applied online. GRO took the money out from his Bank account, then refunded 3 with no explanation as to why. Unfortunately, that was the last he'd heard from them and not being able to find where he'd scribbled down the ref.no., but without them he can't get anywhere with his enquiries. There's no one to talk to, it's all online.
I suppose that he could forget that request and try again, but that's a bit unfair.
Sunday 4 October 2020 5.15pm
Hi Sandy.

If the GRO cannot find the certificate with the details you've given they will give a part refund. I only know this because the same thing happened to me once. Also, you can phone them about your order! I have taken the following from their website:-
Telephone
You can contact us by telephone on +44 (0)300 123 1837 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. Saturday 9am to 4pm). Calls to 0300 numbers cost no more that calls to UK numbers starting 01 and 02
They have been very helpful to me in the past.
Good luck
Sunday 11 October 2020 10.55pm
That's kind of you to search the info for me, Rosie. Thank you very much. I'll get into doing that this week.

If the GRO cannot find the certificate with the details you've given they will give a part refund. I only know this because the same thing happened to me once. Also, you can phone them about your order! I have taken the following from their website:-
Telephone
You can contact us by telephone on +44 (0)300 123 1837 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. Saturday 9am to 4pm). Calls to 0300 numbers cost no more that calls to UK numbers starting 01 and 02
They have been very helpful to me in the past.
Good luck[/quote]

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions