London SE1 community website

The Cut to close to traffic from 19th October

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 21 October 2020 10.30am
Haven't posted here in a while but I was cycling east along the Cut yesterday and was surprised to come across new road markings, and have to give way outside the Anchor & Hope to all the oncoming traffic turning right onto Hatfields.

What a shame, Hatfields used to be a fairly quiet road. Same goes for Ufford and Short Street - pleasant routes to walk or cycle and avoid the main road traffic. I couldn't understand why so many vehicles were piling down Valentine Place, but now see it's the new route from Blackfriars Rd to Waterloo / Baylis.

TfL are dreaming - the benefit of removing some portion of discretionary journeys is completely out of proportion with the penalty of turning all these quiet roads into rat runs. Go outside and look at the traffic on these routes: it's delivery drivers and Ubers, with the odd black cab. This closure won't stop those journeys at all, simply displace them. Uber customers don't give a toss about road closures and probably don't even notice, so won't stop booking them.

Shambolic idiocy.
Wednesday 21 October 2020 12.12pm
3,500 people have signed the Lambeth petition that SaraJane4944 references, but the powers that be proceed nonetheless, covering their ears and saying loudly "We can't you!" to drown out the protests and strength of feeling, all the while hailing the chaos they've caused out there as a massive success.
Wednesday 21 October 2020 4.33pm
And still the silence from TfL is deafening.
What are they hiding?
For we, the simple public, to recognise that the scheme is ridiculous and damaging to everybody, except the pigeons and rats who can go about their daily lives with only the foxes to worry about, why can't the obsessive planners at TfL.
Don't get me started about our local politicians who have either been hoodwinked into believing the road closure has some merit or just don't care enough about the people who voted them in. Our MPs are strangely silent including councillors, GLA members -particularly- Caroline Pidgeon, and our Mayor does he believe that one disastrous term is enough and he can wave goodbye on the way to his new career wherever that is.

I do believe that there is more than meets the eye with this act of stupidity. I have been racking my brains, alright that lonely cell that rattles around inside my skull.

The best I can come up with is this , and only this, the idea is to shut Greet Street permanently and make it for pedestrians only as they did with Windmill Walk some years ago. The purpose of such closure would enable a much safer flow of thousands of commuters and their egress/ingress from the back street entrance/exit of the unnecessary Southwark Underground station on Greet Street (yet to be built).
I believe the Greet Street rail/tube entrance is at the behest of Network Rail to facilitate the ingress/egress of their Waterloo East passengers instead of having to make the 1/4 mile plus journey that they currently have to do now (into and out of Waterloo Main) and secondly to enable Tfl's plans for the building of the massive office block above Southwark Underground station exactly opposite Palaestra to go ahead.
So Greet Street must go as a vehicle route.
I do not know how residents of Tait and Benson houses, Peabody(Ipsden), Windmill House, Charing, Croydon and Osringe houses and the car owning residents of Hatch Row are expected to reach Blackfriars Road.

Perhaps TfL can issue all of us with clear and detailed routes out of the mess they have created.
Friday 23 October 2020 3.11pm
For those who are not totally bored with my ramblings I have found a new short cut home from my doctor's surgery on Lower Marsh.
Leave LM by Frazier Street, cross the cycle path, avoiding any cyclists whilst trying to exit onto Baylis Road and discover if any traffic is coming from the right (Lambeth North) and is hidden from view by the wall of 3/4/5/ buses parked in the middle of the road. Continue on FS turn left onto Pearman Street . Turn right on Waterloo Road after obeying traffic signals and turn left onto Gray Street then left onto Webber Street then right into Ufford Street - sorry OHRA - then right into Boundary Row and queue at Blackfriars Road along with another 5/6 vehicles. Cross the cyclist lane trying to avoid the two-wheeled kamikaze cyclists. Then when the opportunity finally arrives drive onto the middle of BR and wait until there is a long break in the traffic before turning left/right or going straight across into the clogged up Surrey Row. I prefer to turn right and then left into Pocock Street, a much wider street, then left onto Great Suffolk Street then a left onto Union Street and invariably stopping at the traffic lights and waiting to cross Blackfriars Road into The Cut then a right - obeying the new and totally unnecessary closure of The Cut and into Hatfields and home. Physically and mentally drained and having not being able to get out of second gear and expelling so many more pollutants.
And for what? To save me the bother of exiting Frazier Street then onto Baylis Road then straight on into The Cut turn left and home.

Please TfL return me to the old simplicity.
Wednesday 28 October 2020 8.10pm
I had lunch on the Cut today, About 30% of vehicles went straight through, even though there were police cars around. So what next? I am surprised there is nothing physical as there is a lot of other closures.
Thursday 29 October 2020 10.29am
I think the issue is that whilst there are signs to denote the presence of cameras, there aren't actually any cameras. Any driver who realises this can thus proceed without any risk of a fine arriving in their letter box.

They won't close it off with any additional physical infrastructure because there are still various delivery vehicles that need access.
Thursday 29 October 2020 10.54am
Thebunhouse wrote:
... drive onto the middle of BR and wait until there is a long break in the traffic before turning left/right or going straight across into the clogged up Surrey Row. I prefer to turn right and then left into Pocock Street, a much wider street, then left onto Great Suffolk Street then a left onto Union Street ...

I'm afraid the goalposts are about to move again, you soon won't be able to enter Surrey Row from Blackfriars Road - according to the notice up on a lamp post outside my estate. All part of the 'temporary' Great Suffolk Street plan being implemented by Southwark council. http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s91053/APPENDIX%203%20GREAT%20SUFFOLK%20STREET.pdf

Cycling up Southwark Bridge Road yesterday, I noticed 'no left / right turn' signs have already been put up at the Lant St / Sawyer St crossroads, so it seems to be happening this week.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions