London SE1 community website

Food donation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 25 October 2020 10.02am
Iím in a virtual challenge where Iíve decided to change the food part to donate a lot of food rather than eat a lot of it. Mainly because Iím appalled about the go talk school meals fiasco.

I see Southwark council is covering school meals for half term. Whatís the best an most efficient way to do a donation to ensure food provision? Cash to Waterloo food bank? Any local restaurants providing food to kids that I should be supporting?
Sunday 25 October 2020 9.34pm
In Allestree,Derby. There is a wonderful Fish shop called Kedleston Fish Bar...they are giving free fish cake and chips...chicken nugget and chips, free to children between 11.30 and 2pm. Even accommodating an enquiry from a parent who child had special dietary requirements . I have had the Fish and chips from Kedleston Fish bar, delicious.

Is there no one local who could the same in Southwark?
Thursday 29 October 2020 9.38pm
I use https://foodshare.net to donate to Kent (where I grew up), though I couldn't donate to the specific borough I lived in via this service.
Friday 30 October 2020 10.02am
The Waterloo food bank extends into Southwark so worth talking to them
Monday 9 November 2020 5.30pm
That foodshare link seems to go to a Canadian site.
If you use Ocado they have their You Give We Give programme where they will match whatever you donate to give to reputable food banks and what they give is what the food banks request or they give cash if requested. I canít find the link right now but they work with reputable food banks. The largest food bank I believe is Trussell Trust and they are active in Southwark and across the country and are very reputable.
I recently discovered https://www.alexandrarose.org.uk/ which I really like. For logistical reasons Trussell Trust and many large food banks usually give packaged and tinned foods for logistical reasons (to avoid food wastage). Alexandra Rose give coupons for fresh fruit and veg to low income people and these coupons can be used with local market traders who work with Alexandra Rose. This strikes me as a double win as low income people can get fresh produce and local market people instead of big supermarket chains get sales. One thing is for sure, if you can afford to give, this is a great time for giving recognising that we are all one big community who need to take care of each other.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions