London SE1 community website

Folding bike stolen outside Kings Arms, Roupell Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 November 2020 11.39am
Friend's Dahon Speed P8 folding bike stolen by thieves from outside the pub at 9pm or so last night [Monday 2nd November]. Kryptonite cable cut through. Very bold considering that it is - make that used to be - a busy route. Any information, thoughts welcome.
Tuesday 3 November 2020 1.47pm
Sorry to hear that. Have you spoken to the King's Arms? Their internal CCTV might have picked up something through the windows
Tuesday 3 November 2020 5.01pm
Sorry to hear that - I cycle around a lot, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Unfortunately I fear that with another rise in the number of cyclists, especially professional ones (food/parcel deliveries etc), there will also be a rising trend in bicycle thefts, with the thieves better equipped. I have noticed my own bike being eyed up a few times as well. I hope your friend's insured.
Wednesday 4 November 2020 8.18am
I now realise that Kryptonite cables can be snipped VERY easily...
Wednesday 4 November 2020 1.43pm
I would check the arches along Greet Street.

Theres a group of homless people often with lots of bikes near then
Wednesday 4 November 2020 6.04pm
I don't own a folding bike, but if I did it would be because once folded they can be taken virtually anywhere and not left outside.

To do so would defeat their main advantage over regular bicycles.
Thursday 5 November 2020 11.14am
Jules62 wrote:
I don't own a folding bike, but if I did it would be because once folded they can be taken virtually anywhere and not left outside.
If I owned a pub I would give short shrift to anyone trying to bring their bike inside, but I don't so would just tut.

Besides, only Bromptons seem to fold into a vaguely compact shape. Friend of mine had a Dahon which took up more space when folded than otherwise.
Saturday 7 November 2020 5.05pm
PeteStaples wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
If I owned a pub I would give short shrift to anyone trying to bring their bike inside, but I don't so would just tut.

Besides, only Bromptons seem to fold into a vaguely compact shape. Friend of mine had a Dahon which took up more space when folded than otherwise.

This particular model (the one that was nicked) appears to be quite compact when folded...

Saturday 7 November 2020 11.31pm
Jules62 wrote:
PeteStaples wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

This particular model (the one that was nicked) appears to be quite compact when folded...

The King's Arms is quite a narrow pub, if everyone brought in their folding bikes you'd have people falling over them all over the place.
Sunday 8 November 2020 10.23pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
The King's Arms is quite a narrow pub, if everyone brought in their folding bikes you'd have people falling over them all over the place.

If the bike that was stolen was taken, in its folded state, into the pub and the landlord told the owner it wasn't allowed inside, then yes: the bike owner had the choice to leave and go to another pub that would allow his machine inside.

Or he had the choice to leave it outside: this is what happened, and that bike was stolen.

In these hard times of lockdown, only a very foolish landlord would actively discourage customers from using their premises, bike or no bike...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions