London SE1 community website

Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 5 November 2020 9.29pm
1,000 new home...a paltry 116 being social housing? And you have to wait a decade for them.

Don't know why I have this feeling De ja vu ( spell check please!). Remember demolition of Heygate Estate..Twelve hundred homes...four hundred mature trees.. oh by the way Lend Lease promised to plant 1,200 trees locally...

They wanted to give owner occupiers inadequate price for their homes.. and the social housing total was derisory...

The Rich get Rich...and the poor get cheated out of homes. It's a conspiracy to have only minions to work in London, but commute out of it..minions ...not the yellow ones with one eye!
Friday 13 November 2020 3.48pm
I guess still better than the old Shopping Centre where there were 0 homes and 0 social housing :)

Somebody on this forum I think or some local Facebook group was suggesting to have affordable housing specific for key workers, in particular police, nhs and teachers.
I think it was a great idea, certainly more useful to them than clapping from the balcony!
Many are in that situation where they are considered too rich to qualify for social housing (or are at the bottom of the waiting list) and too poor to afford renting/buying around here. Such a shame.
Sunday 15 November 2020 7.57am
Does my head in! These "great idea"s. They get quashed and brought back and quashed and brought back lol. Key workers is what the Corporation was for, unfortunately everyone was able to buy theirs.

The Tories, before the next election will have the great idea of more police, bobbys on the beat...great idea! Why didn't someone think of that before.

Rich foreigners come in to buy the properties and have more of a right to live in our Capital city than the working class families that built it lol Reminds me of the working class people that do the charity stuff for cancer research but cant afford the treatment because it's private (fact).
Monday 16 November 2020 2.52pm
Most rich foreigners that buy in London do it as an investment, not to live in it.
The few that buy to live, buy in Kensigton/Chelsea, not in Elephant & Castle.
Tuesday 15 December 2020 10.19pm
MarcoC wrote:
Most rich foreigners that buy in London do it as an investment, not to live in it.
The few that buy to live, buy in Kensigton/Chelsea, not in Elephant & Castle.

No they don't they too are seeking ROI so they have started branching out to areas such as Greenwich, Deptford, Bermondsey. Chelsea and the ilk tend to get the High Net Worth Individuals.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions