London SE1 community website

Millwall Supporters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Wednesday 9 December 2020 10.12am
Now, now Gavin. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. They have already been judged as racists by the new puritans.
Wednesday 9 December 2020 11.25am
Now, now Gavin. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. The new puritans have judged the supporters to be racists and that is how it must be.
Wednesday 9 December 2020 12.07pm
Ted Nugent wrote:
Now, now Gavin. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. The new puritans have judged the supporters to be racists and that is how it must be.

Surely all the more important to understand why or what the same supporters were booing on the previous occasion?

So - look at the statement from the MSC:
https://www.millwallsupportersclub.co.uk/post/statement-millwall-v-derby-county

quote: "Anyone who believes it was a racist act, should read the views of those who booed and see they were doing it in reaction to the war memorials and statues of Churchill defaced by the BLM organisation and the extreme political views they hold, and for which ‘taking the knee’ is associated with. These same fans have never booed the Kick it Out campaigns on our pitch or the huge work of the Millwall Community Trust and its many anti-racism campaigns."

ie: it wasn't racist it anti-anti-racist(?)

continue quote: "Equally, anyone who booed in the ground yesterday should read the views of Mahlon Romeo and those of the Millwall players released on Friday. They chose to ‘take the knee’ to highlight the need for more anti-discrimination work and action, something Millwall has always been at the forefront of through our community work. They explicitly did not use it to support any political viewpoint or organisation and therefore the booing shows disagreement with anti-discrimination."
Wednesday 9 December 2020 12.37pm
... and perhaps a reminder why 'racist' behaviour by Millwall supporters might still be 'expected' by those of us who don't follow football and don't know whether things have changed since they hit the headlines lat year:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/01/millwall-fined-10000-for-supporters-racist-chanting-at-everton-fa-cup-tie
Wednesday 16 December 2020 9.08am
Even the term "BAME" is racist and divisive. When reporting effects of covid it's always BAME v white people re:stats when there's differences among all ethnicities and differing "classes".

I would like to see social housing stats. There will always be dividing lines, they just need to be in the right place.
Thursday 17 December 2020 8.00am
Anyone see that black girl being interviewed yesterday re:the little girl that died due to pollution? RIP
She said that air pollution affects BAME people more than "white people"! Who can blame her? It's what she's being fed by people she thinks are on her side!

Who has to live with the anger?
Thursday 17 December 2020 8.18am
Anyone remember the black Sun reporter who claimed MIllwall fans were making Nazi salutes and shouting Sieg Heil......Brighton fans singing Seagulls.

£10k fine lol, the FA would throw the financial book at Millwall any chance they got.

Millwall fans were racist when shouting DVD at Song of Spurs (Sth Korean), until someone mentioned the phonejacker!

All these things get reported in bold, the apology is somewhat different.
Thursday 17 December 2020 8.40am
and as someone who was starved during school holidays, this "racist" would dearly love to see the words "Sir Marcus Rashford", I want to cry when I think of him, love him.

All about class
Thursday 17 December 2020 9.07am
John C wrote:
... and perhaps a reminder why 'racist' behaviour by Millwall supporters might still be 'expected' by those of us who don't follow football and don't know whether things have changed since they hit the headlines lat year:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/01/millwall-fined-10000-for-supporters-racist-chanting-at-everton-fa-cup-tie

That's a shockingly cheap shot, I can't remember what happened as I wasn't there but I remember MFC fans being upset that the club didn't fight it. I've just googled "racism at" then inserted different London clubs, one by one, it's quite interesting.
Thursday 17 December 2020 10.02am
boroughonian wrote:
John C wrote:

That's a shockingly cheap shot, I can't remember what happened as I wasn't there but I remember MFC fans being upset that the club didn't fight it. I've just googled "racism at" then inserted different London clubs, one by one, it's quite interesting.

Not 'shocking', not 'cheap', boroughonian - just EASY. As no doubt you've just discovered yourself, by googling "racism at" with the names of London clubs. To someone like me - I've only been to one professional football match in my life, at Upton Park back in the 1950s, and found it boring - who only sees references to football when it gets into the non-sport news, some football fans are NOTORIOUSLY racist (they used to be NOTORIOUSLY violent). It's obviously a totally unfair and (probably) untrue judgement (they're no more racist than the rest of us), but that's the public reputation that the clubs and their supporters have to overcome.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions