London SE1 community website

Millwall Supporters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Thursday 17 December 2020 2.00pm
Hello John C
So you were bored at the Hammers. You should have gone to the Den in the '50s. If you got bored watching Alex Jardine and his team under floodlights you could have hopped across the tracks to have a flutter on the dogs or stock car racing or speedway depending on the the weekly timetable. You missed out mate!
Regards...tone
Thursday 17 December 2020 2.52pm
tone wrote:
Hello John C
So you were bored at the Hammers. You should have gone to the Den in the '50s. If you got bored watching Alex Jardine and his team under floodlights you could have hopped across the tracks to have a flutter on the dogs or stock car racing or speedway depending on the the weekly timetable. You missed out mate!
Regards...tone
One of my uncles took me to speedway once - West Ham stadium. Never again!
Friday 18 December 2020 12.11pm
Alex Jardine, great blast from the past......He appeared as Mr X in a trial match for The Lions. They knew he showed real talent and didn't want to give his true identity away, in case other clubs signed him up. My dad was always singing his praises, but my uncle would take me to Millwall. As a Crystal Palace supporter (apologies for that), he would always string me along. As a young lad, I always fell for his jokes. "Full back, you say?" Yes, right back, I would reply. "He should be right back behind the goal selling the peanuts!" he would say laughing. Remember Percy Daltons the peanut seller, who used to walk round the terraces selling peanuts?
Tuesday 22 December 2020 7.56am
First division peanuts!
Tuesday 22 December 2020 8.41am
Lewins wrote:
Alex Jardine, great blast from the past......He appeared as Mr X in a trial match for The Lions. They knew he showed real talent and didn't want to give his true identity away, in case other clubs signed him up. My dad was always singing his praises, but my uncle would take me to Millwall. As a Crystal Palace supporter (apologies for that), he would always string me along. As a young lad, I always fell for his jokes. "Full back, you say?" Yes, right back, I would reply. "He should be right back behind the goal selling the peanuts!" he would say laughing. Remember Percy Daltons the peanut seller, who used to walk round the terraces selling peanuts?

People would go all over London to watch a match, usually when one's own team was up North somewhere. Rivalry was totally different then. I would go Arsenal W Ham Charlton Chelsea and watch some proper football lol Somehow, I would be "bunked" in.
Heard the name Jardine bandied about along with Juliens and the Brady twins (brothers of Liam).
Wasn't great as a kid, hearing blokes say "they don't wanna go up, it'll cost 'em too much money" soul destroying or what?
Wednesday 23 December 2020 3.00pm
My dad's favourite was Franky Neary, a Millwall hero, at The Den. A good penalty taker. He told me that Neary always scored from the penalty spot and once, the ball broke the back of the net. (Probably loose netting, if I know anything about the old Den). I hope it's true though. Whenever he was fouled and it looked serious, the St. John's Ambulance team, carrying a stretcher, would run the lengh of the pitch to carry him off. When they got there, Neary would stand up and the whole Den would erupt, cheering and clapping. Always a smile on the faces of the stretchermen.
Half time at 45 minutes, was always entertaining. Whether it was 'Lennie The Lion'......or The Dagenham Girl Pipers, (always got a wolf whistle, but strictly not PC nowdays) they always good a great round of applause. Where are the characters thesedays?
Then there was the 'signature' tune played as the Millwall team came running onto the pitch. Originally it was Shoe Shine Boy sung by Bing Crosby? feel free to correct me if I have got that wrong. Later it was Let Them All Come Down To The Den, by Roy Green:
Let em come, Let em come, Let em come, Let em all come down to The Den,
Let em come, Let em come, Let em come, We'll only have to beat em again,
It's the best team in London, no the best team of all,
Everybody knows us, were called Millwall,

It's Saturday in Cold Blow Lane, we've all come down to cheer,
We've had our jellied eels,
And drunk our glass of beer,
Come rain or shine our families will bring,
And as The Lions run on the pitch, everyone will sing,

Let em come, Let em come, Let em come, We'll only have to beat em again,
It's the best team in London no the best team of all,
Everybody knows us were called Millwall,
Let em come, Let em come, Let em come, Let em all come down to The Den

I think it's "No one likes us, we don't care" now. But I don't know. Haven't been since the old Den closed. Too many fun memories with my family, I just couldn't move on.
Sunday 3 January 2021 10.15am
Well whatever their motivation was, we've been cr** ever since. Give yourselves a pat on the back you clever boys!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions