London SE1 community website

Solicitor to certify a passport copy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 9 December 2020 12.24pm
I'm having trouble finding a local solicitor who can certify a copy of my passport.

I thought this was an easy and common request, but I have contacted four local solicitors and either they don't offer the service, or they only offer it to existing clients, or they are working remotely due to COVID.

Law Society gave me two more numbers to try. The first one is also only working remotely and although I made an appointment with IPS Legal on Marshalsea Road this morning, I left after half an hour because the solicitor didn't show up!

Any tips for a local solicitor who can do this, and is open?

Banks and Post Offices apparently used to do it, but no longer.
Wednesday 9 December 2020 1.30pm
According to Gov.uk, the following are able to certify a copy of a passport:

bank or building society official
councillor
minister of religion
dentist
chartered accountant
solicitor or notary
teacher or lecturer
Wednesday 9 December 2020 3.37pm
[duplicate].
Wednesday 9 December 2020 4.15pm
Have you tried the Post Office?
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/document-certification

According to the website, several local branches offer the service, including London Bridge, Southwark Bridge Road, Walworth and Blackfriars Road
Thursday 10 December 2020 6.36pm
I am a magistrate (JP) and can certify.
Friday 11 December 2020 11.01am
Thanks for these suggestions. The party who wants the certified copy is insisting on a solicitor for some reason, so I will ask them to either find one for me or show some flexibility based on the government guidance.
Friday 11 December 2020 11.34am
Atanda & Co (by the flyover) are a local criminal legal aid firm. I often use them for swearing affidavits and certifying copy documents - just giving them a quick call beforehand to make sure they've got a solicitor in the office (which they normally do). They charge 10 for such certification. I've got no affiliation with them etc...

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions