London SE1 community website

Newington Gardens Sunshine Mosaic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 20 December 2020 6.33pm
I had a walk around Newington Gardens today. According to the poster on the fence Southwark Council had planned to restore the mosaic art feature in the centre as part of the general improvements. But instead it looks like they've just tarmaced over the top of it! Anyone know what's going on here?
Monday 21 December 2020 7.31pm
They will probably come out with bovine excrement..it will be renewed in new year....the cost this year is too much...its Covid again...has any one contacted parks ..entertainment? Be interesting to see their response..
Tuesday 22 December 2020 7.02am
I only discovered Newington Gardens in March on one of my many meanderings round Southwark for exercise; fascinating history and there was a large Chinese-style seated Buddha by one of the benches. I hope they haven't binned it? Not good Karma!
Tuesday 22 December 2020 8.45am
Oh Gaol Park!
Tuesday 22 December 2020 10.18am
Used to live beside it remember the swing park was in nearly everyday my mother was friends with the woman who used to look after the toilets had a little room on the end they used to sit and drink tea. Was down last year had a walk about Sad to see itís not there anymore also remember us getting up to no good and getting chased by the Parky could spot him a mile away in his brown uniform happy days.
Wednesday 23 December 2020 1.51pm
martindx wrote:
I had a walk around Newington Gardens today. According to the poster on the fence Southwark Council had planned to restore the mosaic art feature in the centre as part of the general improvements. But instead it looks like they've just tarmaced over the top of it! Anyone know what's going on here?

There is a vestige of the mosaic remaining - a relatively small circle set in the grassed area on the side nearest the Court building - blink and you miss it. If that's all they ever intended to do, then the wording of the original proposal was very misleading.
Wednesday 23 December 2020 6.21pm

this is what their poster shows - i was expecting this but transformed! I'm going to email southwark
Wednesday 23 December 2020 10.18pm
Loved the parties in their brown uniforms Glenn. Shame they got rid of them...
Sunday 27 December 2020 7.20pm
spartacus wrote:
martindx wrote:

There is a vestige of the mosaic remaining - a relatively small circle set in the grassed area on the side nearest the Court building - blink and you miss it. If that's all they ever intended to do, then the wording of the original proposal was very misleading.

oh thanks spotted it today - how strange that it was hidden over to one side in the grass - and still missing cement in the outer stones - a job half done

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions