London SE1 community website

Save Lant Street Wine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 14 January 2021 11.47am
Terrible news, I'm afraid. It would appear that they may have their licence revoked. IMHO this is a valuable asset to our community and has been selling wine for over 30 years! There is a petition to sign here to offer support to this local business:

https://www.change.org/p/southwark-council-licensing-team-petition-to-object-to-the-revocation-of-lant-street-wine-co-premise-license?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_26830436_en-GB%3A6&recruiter=793999678&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
Thursday 14 January 2021 12.47pm
Would be a real shame. I'm not a regular customer, but they seem like exactly the kind of friendly, community-oriented business we should be celebrating. Do you have any more details about the licensing complaint?
Thursday 14 January 2021 7.10pm
Have signed - what is the reason for this objection? Is it a developer wishing to put flats there? Or the new whiskey shop on BHS trying to eliminate competition?
Friday 15 January 2021 9.45am
EWJ1974 wrote:
Have signed - what is the reason for this objection? Is it a developer wishing to put flats there? Or the new whiskey shop on BHS trying to eliminate competition?

According to the petition, the complaint has been raised by 'a member of our local community'. How does one find out the nature and wording of the complaint? Such complaints normally arise over the bad behaviour of pub customers - which I don't think applies in Lant Street!
Friday 15 January 2021 1.03pm
You can see the outline of the review application here:
http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=874038

Talk of revocation is probably a bit over-dramatic unless a business has been flouting its licence conditions on a big scale.

Seeking a review of the licence is the only lever that local residents have to seek changes to how a licensed premises operates - even if it's something small like getting the opening times changed by 30 minutes.

Licensing decisions are made on even tighter parameters than planning decisions.

Any interested party can apply for a licence review; the application may or may not have merit.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 15 January 2021 1.57pm
Thanks for that, James. As far as I understand the complaints have come from 1 individual who would appear to have the "ear" of the Southwark licencing team as the individual used to work for the council in Hackney, so knows the ropes.
Friday 15 January 2021 5.32pm
bmovie wrote:
Thanks for that, James. As far as I understand the complaints have come from 1 individual who would appear to have the "ear" of the Southwark licencing team as the individual used to work for the council in Hackney, so knows the ropes.

Even so, bmovie, it sounds pretty serious - quote "The drinking establishment has caused or necessitated persistent Southwark Noise Team call outs and on-going involvement by the Metropolitan Police due to anti-social behaviour." Does Lant Street Wine have a response? (I didn't realise they had been hosting events with 80 people present.)

But frankly I don't think 'knowing the ropes' of how to make a complaint should bar anyone from doing so, and make their complaint somehow suspect.
Saturday 16 January 2021 2.02pm
Seems like a case where the new generation has taken over the business, tried to expand the offering and make more of the space and made a few missteps along the way. Hopefully this can all be worked out in a reasonable way and the business can continue to serve the local community in the way it hopes to.
Monday 18 January 2021 2.41pm
Gosh - I used to live on the corner of Lant and Weller and used to visit. It seemed such a nice quiet place. Will sign.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions