London SE1 community website

Want to attract goldfinches?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 22 February 2021 1.38pm
My wife has stopped feeding the wild birds outside our house because of an overabundance of pigeon droppings. We used to attract goldfinches, sometimes dozens at a time, to the hanging feeders. If you have goldfinches in your area you would like to attract, then offer them niger seed, which these beautiful birds particularly relish. We have one unopened 12.5 kg sack of this free to someone who would like it and could collect it. Please PM me if you are interested.
Thursday 25 February 2021 10.50am
I have managed to stop pigeons landing on my hanging feeders by fixing quite thick cable ties to the hanger so they stick out in all directions. The pigeons donít like it but the smaller birds use then to land on. I have also stopped squirrels by using a baffle so they canít climb up the pole but if yours is a hanging feeder you can use a baffle above it.
Friday 26 February 2021 7.55am
We have a Mother and baby Squirrel that sleep in a plant trough on our window ledge. It's not every night, we think they get caught short while out!

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions