London SE1 community website

Mugging on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 16 July 2004 10.53am
Not sure about it being that isolated an incident. Look at the Evening Standard report on the poor chap who was beaten up by 15 kids last week nearby and now has lost an eye.
Friday 16 July 2004 11.05am
I can't find that article Advocate - can you post the link please.
rm
Friday 16 July 2004 11.13am
was it round here?
Friday 16 July 2004 11.31am
It depends on what you mean by isolated doesn't it? My point was simply that Bermondsey Street is probably no more dangerous than any other and my fear is that knee-jerk reaction to individual crimes and brutal asaults etc. is counter productive. It is of course entirely understandable as are feelings of revenge but if the chances of actually being mugged on Bermondsey Street are small then we gain nothing by assuming that they are high. And please note that I said "if".
Friday 16 July 2004 11.42am
I agree entirley Blake. I have however been away for three years in HK and since my return I have noticed somewhat more agressive behaviour in the area than I recall prior to leaving. Then again HK is an extremely safe city so it may just be relative.
Friday 16 July 2004 11.54am
Vic, I am sorry to hear about your mugging. Touch wood, but I have never experienced anything like that in the 9 years that I have lived in the area, granted though I do tend to be tucked up in bed by 10pm.

I was very surprised to hear about the attack on the guy who lost his eye by a gang of sh*tty schoolboys, it has certainly made me more cautious when out and about now.
Friday 16 July 2004 1.09pm
Two years ago a shop/ stall holder in East Street market, was attacked by two women, accompanied by a child in a pushchair - they stabbed the poor man in the eye with a mobile phone aerial, resulting in the loss of his eye.( he waas stopping them stealing shoes )

I still go down East Street....
Friday 16 July 2004 1.32pm

don't worry about whether you are a 'soft touch' or not vicd - it is really difficult when confronted late at night by a thug with a hoody to do like Bruce Lee - it is far and away the safest move to hand stuff over! It is very unlikely to happen again so I would hope that this doesn't spoil your continued enjoyment of this great area.
Friday 16 July 2004 1.57pm
I have occasionally witnessed threatening behaviour from young guys riding bikes on local pavements - they appear to be looking for someone to challenge them and are quite ready to mix it if someone does question their right to do so, but its relatively minor - so far. Vicds experience is obviously on another level, but still relatively rare. A tip I heard from someone who lives in New York - keep a small collection of out of date credit/debit cards on you [they went so far as to have 2 wallets, one with old cards and a small amount of cash in - just remember which is which!] to hand over when 'requested' to do so - on the assumption that they don't wait around to check before rushing of to attempt to spend,spend,spend at your expense.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions