London SE1 community website

Proposed closure of Post Office, Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 2 August 2004 9.39pm
Hear, hear!
Tuesday 3 August 2004 8.25am
Queues. Are a feature of Public 'Services'. It invariably takes 20 minutes at the Aldwych Post Office. The Abbey St PO never seems to have that sort of a queue when I go in.
rm
Tuesday 3 August 2004 8.44am
"It invariably takes 20 minutes at the Aldwych Post Office" - AT LEAST!! I have spent many unfortunate lunch hours queuing for things!!
Tuesday 3 August 2004 12.04pm
the reason for the queues is that everyone goes when they can - ie lunchtime, which is the time when there are the least number of staff (because they're on lunch) - so it's obvious that if you go when everyone else is going, there will be a queue.

I use the post office about five or six times a year - for things like currency exchange without commision, DVLA forms, and passport forms etc... occasionally I buy stamps there, and once a year send my uncle in Canada a christmas present/card.

I don't think I'd be inconvenienced if some of the smaller ones closed down.

A possible solution could be franchise in/near to a supermarket, with the caveat that the supermarket didn't supply the same services as the PO - ie not selling stamps, or having a post box - that kind of thing. These would be in places where lots of people go anyway, and would be subsidised by the large supermarkets.
Tuesday 3 August 2004 12.17pm
Aldwych has long queues whatever time of day you go there.
rm
Tuesday 3 August 2004 12.19pm
hear hear mapmaker
Sunday 8 August 2004 8.06am
two comments

queues - staff are costly - a subposmaster as a small businessperson has to think carefully about employing an extra person. It would have to ensure that extra business was brought in. However, the PO on Aldwych is one of the 500 or so POs which are publicly owned and so costs there are much higher and making a profit is less of an incentive (because such offices don't make a profit - though they could in private hands - the one on Westminster Bridge road is an example of this). In SE1 the two on Borough HS and the one on Blackfriars are publicly owned.

Going in with supermarkets - this has been tried with mixed results. Supermarkets keep a line on if it makes a certain level of profit per square foot. POs tend not to meet the targets. I remember two example of POs in SMs being closed and replaced one with a roast chicken counter and the other with a pizza section. So when I worked in this area it was a big worry when the supermarkets started buying up small conveneince store chains in which POs were located. I could see this leading to closures - though I am not aware of this happening yet.
Monday 9 August 2004 8.35am
>>queues - staff are costly

Mmm. Of course, but at the Aldwych there must be sufficient demand that an extra member of staff would lead to increased sales that would more than compensate..

Monday 9 August 2004 9.54am
>>at the Aldwych there must be sufficient demand that an extra member of staff would lead to increased sales that would more than compensate

It's not really increased sales that determin whether or not an additional member of staff can be afforded, it's profit. Unfortunately, I guess, that the profit generated per item of sale in a post office is just too low. Put the price of a 2nd class stamp up to 25p and and 1st to 38p and it may be a different story
Sal
Monday 9 August 2004 11.55am
There seems to be closure in the City of London too, due to buildings being redeveloped. Has anyone looked at the Southwark Planning web site to see if these sites are up for demolition??
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions