London SE1 community website

Proposed closure of Post Office, Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 9 August 2004 1.53pm
Simon Hughes is holding an open meeting on Aug 16 with the relevant Royal Mail people in attendance. Details are on the community board at Bermondsey Street Park.
Monday 9 August 2004 5.49pm
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/12440826?source=Evening%20Standard

Evening Standard runs a piece today on Post Office closures:

"Post Office branch closures result in chaos"
Tuesday 10 August 2004 9.57am
>>Bmovie wrote: "It's not really increased sales that determin whether or not an additional member of staff can be afforded, it's profit. Unfortunately, I guess, that the profit generated per item of sale in a post office is just too low. Put the price of a 2nd class stamp up to 25p and and 1st to 38p and it may be a different story"

Well. several points here. I suspect you are right, but if you are:

1. The marginal cost of an extra employee is only his salary (including NI, pension & any benefits). This is much less than the average cost per employee of running a post office.

2. If extra profit through extra sales doesn't give rise to a net contribution to profits, then the Post Office should be shut - if economics is the only driving force.

3. Putting up the cost of stamps probably won't give an individual post office any more profit... just a guess. The Royal Mail will take that extra.
Monday 16 August 2004 11.33am
A reminder that the meeting is tonight at 7.30pm.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 August 2004 2.08pm
"Government saves 8,000 post offices"

A temporary reprieve for RURAL post offices, as 150M is magicked up from somewhere

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8209-1216587,00.html

But the last paragraph doesn't help SE1 much - "David Mills (chief executive of Post Office Counters) has already closed about 1,650 urban post offices but this has not caused a political backlash, and a further 350 could be closed within the next six months."

So the question is (no political agenda, just surprised at urban passivity, despite this and presumably other forums' obvious frustration)... why no political backlash in urban areas (higher population, more people to upset) compared to rural (bigger distances, quite possibly greater relative exclusion and poverty so no axe to grind against their needs here, just comparing the political power).

Mark
Sal
Tuesday 17 August 2004 3.35pm
Any body attend??? What was the outcome??
Friday 20 August 2004 1.08pm
there is an article in yesterdays southwark news which i very briefly read- it looks like both the owners are taking redundancy and so closing them-it is a bit sad that this is their criteria for shutting them and it is not based on need etc.

Friday 20 August 2004 2.58pm
Denial, shock, anger, followed by ... closure.

The stages of bereavement or a trip to the post office? I'm a low volume user because of the problems noted above and wouldn't really use the PO's if there were three or four times as many. The one important issue seams to be supplying a service for those people who are unfortunate enough to need to use the PO and currently have to queue for too long in terrible surroundings. The current branch system isnt doing the job so why not do something different and if need be shut them down?

Of course there needs to be a superior solution, and of course I dont have one to offer but eventhough Ive never given it much thought the current situation is so poor at least one must exist...

Not sure of the exact wording but didnt a great sage once say: 'If I came home and found a Waitrose had been installed I'd be happy'
Imagine how you'd feel if you found you had a PO in your lounge?

p.s. My understanding is the work undertaken is actually very demanding, particularly considering the circumstances so would to say 'thanks' to any PO couunter staff who are reading this as I've never met one that didnt do an excellent job.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Tuesday 24 August 2004 5.27pm
set them up as franchises next to (or in) larger supermarkets - people already go to Tesco, so why not let them go to a PO at the same time, with of course a caveat that the supermarket in question was not allowed to do the same kind of trade (ie sell stamps).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions