London SE1 community website

1 Blackfriars Road [Beetham Tower/Jumeirah Hotel]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 17 of 20
Wednesday 1 February 2012 11.19am
suziq wrote:
Same happened with Neo Bankside. Apparently the site wasn't deemed 'suitable' for social or affordable housing, so this was due to be provided elsewhere in the borough. I don't think it's ever happened, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I wonder what happens to the funds provided by the developers?!
Neo Bankside was originally approved under the previous model where developers were required to provide the affordable housing themselves. The developers argued that it was not viable to provide social rented homes on-site at Bankside so they were able to built them off-site elsewhere in north Southwark. There is a map on this page showing Neo Bankside and the places where they have built housing for rent (mostly around Tower Bridge Road and Abbey Street, and none of it in the same ward as the 'parent' development).

Last year they successfully argued that it was not viable to provide intermediate (shared ownership) housing on-site (report here) and agreed to pay the council £9 million instead. I'm not sure whether the council has received all that cash yet (as not all of the Neo Bankside blocks are occupied yet, not all the triggers for payment have probably been reached).

It will be interesting to keep track of where that £9 million goes. Cllr John last year suggested it would be spent to kickstart part of the Aylesbury Estate redevelopment.

The acceptability of such payments-in-leiu having been established in the Neo Bankside case, the same thing happened with King's Reach where the council stands to receive £22.4 million.

St George is hoping to do the same as far as One Blackfriars is concerned. And no doubt the same will be true when the proposals for Ludgate House and Samson House are revealed.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 1.43pm
thanks for the clarification James but i am not sure that social engineering is part of the remit of a local council. On the other hand the provision of housing for those in most need is. In this context it is irrelevant where that housing is provided so long as it IS provided
Thursday 2 February 2012 5.31pm
boroughpaul wrote:
thanks for the clarification James but i am not sure that social engineering is part of the remit of a local council. On the other hand the provision of housing for those in most need is. In this context it is irrelevant where that housing is provided so long as it IS provided

It's long been a fashionable political idea that 'regeneration' has to 'adjust the mix' or ' Balance the community' through the creation of a private buyers market in housing where there was only a small one before. So when you say you are not sure that 'social engineering' is part of the remit of the council but 'the provision of homes is', I think they can't be separated out.

Fred Manson, the Regeneration Guru at Southwark in the late 90's and early 2000's was explicit that Elephant had 'the wrong sort of residents', as was quoted at the time, and that lots of professionals and middle-class families should be encouraged to come and live in new builds in the Elephant so that their wealth could trickle down (presumably). More recently, but as part of the same logic, Rob Deck, Elephant Project Director for Lend Lease said at a meeting 'The Elephant & Castle has no soul..there is no community here’. The non-existence of any 'community' here, being a falsehood of course, is then the justification for getting leeway to build a load of private housing on the old Heygate site and at St Mary's Open Space.

"Mixed communities' is a code word for social engineering. When they say 'adjusting the mix', they aren't however talking about building socially rented homes in Dulwich Village!

So it's also not 'irrelevant' where housing is provided if they are genuine about mixed communities. I remember the tenants of Cherry Gardens in Bermondsey fighting in the 80's to stay with a river view and not be shoved out of the area so that 100's of faux Georgian townhouses could hog the riverfront and privatise the Thames Walkway. Such was the fate of most of the Rotherhithe peninsula along Rotherhithe Rd.
Sunday 26 February 2012 11.53am
The plans for One Blackfriars will be on display at Bankside Community Space from 5pm on Monday (in advance of the BRF meeting at 6.30pm)

Sunday 26 February 2012 7.26pm
So is there a new idea for this site or is the tower still the plan,
Talk of the social demographics of the area is convenient camouflage for
The import issue of how it will look or what is appropriate.
Providing so called affordable housing is no more an excuse for an inappropriate development , than creating employment justifies building nuclear bombs or biological weapons.
Monday 27 February 2012 9.48am
Not really anything new - apart from turning the interior upside down, so to speak. Apartments are now in the upper part of the tower and the hotel in the lower part. When I went to the exhibition at the Nautical School, I asked one of the architects if this was just because they don't have to include a public viewing platform in a residential development and he said 'yes, basically'!
Monday 27 February 2012 10.23am
This is another tower I was hoping wouldn’t happen when we saw the back of Ken Livingston and new labour. Boris will say they were approved under the previous administration , just like Ken Livingston said spitelfields market was approved before he became mayor
But with so may towers shooting up on Borises watch including by the Euston tower which had nothing to do with the previous administration voters may decide that there isnet much difference.
Monday 27 February 2012 1.25pm
its all a matter of opinion and personal taste i'm afraid. i for one love the way London's skyline is developing ever upwards, but I also love New York and Hong Kong. surely the important thing is the cranes all around us mean people are working and there is life in the economy. not many Shard's going up in Athens!
Tuesday 9 October 2012 12.17pm
Just a reminder that the St George scheme is going to planning committee tonight:
http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=4297&x=1&;

Tuesday 9 October 2012 8.00pm
Is £29million the largest ever contribution for off-site social housing???
Current: 17 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions