London SE1 community website

1 Blackfriars Road [Beetham Tower/Jumeirah Hotel]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 20
Thursday 8 February 2007 9.07pm
I think it looks okay. The previous height was ridiculous. Now that it's been scaled down, I think it will suit the area. The public observation deck will be awesome.
Friday 9 February 2007 10.24am
Back in 2005 the Council's executive asked officials to de-designate Blackfriars Road as an area suitable for tall buildings (James had a report on it I remember). Does anyone know whether the final tall buildings strategy did indeed exclude (or not include) Blackfriars Road and what impact might this have on the likelihood of planning success? Presumably Beetham know all about this and are confident of getting permission anyway?

I think CABE's misgivings with the original plans were spot on and the revisions are certainly an improvement. CABE supporting it now wont be a huge shock though - they even supported the Berkeley Homes development at Potters Fields if I remember correctly.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 10.16am
This might interest followers of this and related threads. It is a bit garbled but hints at some action

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/construction_and_property/article1381604.ece
KM
Tuesday 27 March 2007 4.47pm
Here we go again I hear wj say :-)! About 20 copies of a journal called 'Reach' dropped through our letter box this morning. An artists impression of what they are still calling the Beetham Tower appears on p12. How anyone can say that it is suitable or fits in remotely with the area around is beyond me. Everyone's tastes are different, thank goodness, but this certainly 'aint mine!
Saturday 14 July 2007 11.12am
I'm hearing on the grapevine that it's been recommended for approval :-D

http://i7.tinypic.com/4h85ikk.jpg

Anyway, I think the revised height is much better. If anyone can be bothered, you can read my thoughts on this tower here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=13088507&postcount=250
Wednesday 25 July 2007 11.38am
It has indeed been approved -

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2839

This is great news for London's skyline!
Wednesday 25 July 2007 1.37pm
Taken on its own its owne its of the more attractive buildings,
But I still have reservations about the domineering impact of such big buildings in central London, I'm sure Southwark council gave it permission because they want to be seen as forward looking.but I for one don't think how forward looking you are is dependent on the height of buildings. And I find it hard to get exited about a posh hotel and luxury flats.
Wednesday 25 July 2007 2.08pm
mickysalt wrote:
Taken on its own its owne its of the more attractive buildings,
But I still have reservations about the domineering impact of such big buildings in central London, And I find it hard to get exited about a posh hotel and luxury flats.

i find it interesting that 50 storeys plus are considered "such big buildings"...in many other more adventurous cities 50 storeys would hardly count as skyscrapers. londons skyline is dominated by dull squat 8-10 storey structures to whom we have conservative (small c) planners and councillors to thank for. i for one am loving the idea of our city climbing higher and really exciting architectural projects both getting approval and actually being built... bring on the shard!
Wednesday 25 July 2007 2.37pm
mickysalt wrote:
And I find it hard to get exited about a posh hotel and luxury flats.

It will have a public viewing deck on the top floor, offering some of the best panoramic views in London. I'd say that's worth getting excited about. Anyway, this project has already been scaled down in height. It won't dominate too much. By comparison the Shard will be nearly twice as tall.

boroughpaul wrote:

i find it interesting that 50 storeys plus are considered "such big buildings"...in many other more adventurous cities 50 storeys would hardly count as skyscrapers. londons skyline is dominated by dull squat 8-10 storey structures to whom we have conservative (small c) planners and councillors to thank for. i for one am loving the idea of our city climbing higher and really exciting architectural projects both getting approval and actually being built... bring on the shard!

I couldn't agree more!
Wednesday 25 July 2007 3.41pm
Im talking in relation to St pauls , Big ben ect,
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions