London SE1 community website

1 Blackfriars Road [Beetham Tower/Jumeirah Hotel]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20
Wednesday 25 July 2007 4.09pm
I find the towers to be exciting and far more attractive than many of their post war neighbours. London needs some exciting looking buildings, perhaps we dont want to look like Dubai, but then again we wont, but we do want to be more forward thinking and as long as the developments can keep providing some affordable housing in attractive surroundings, what does it matter?
Wednesday 25 July 2007 5.48pm
When I first came to London in 1985 you couldn't see the Monument for taller building around it. And you couldn't see any thing from the top (and I have been to the top) for the same reason Since then they have improved its surroundings and views from the top,.

It doesn't take much to make big improvements

,and it doesn't take much to create a cock up if the necessary consideration haven't been given to a proposed building,

that's why talking about a building as if it was an isolated abject isn't good enough and why buildings need to be considered in relation to there surroundings so that sort of thing doesn't happen again. Jargon about forward looking doesn't mean any thing as they probably thought they were being forward looking when they blocked the views from the monument.

The Beatham tower my well turn out to be fine, but we cant afford to just assume
That any thing built wily Nilly will work out ok by accident.
Wednesday 25 July 2007 7.32pm
Which in there time dominated the skyline (well St Pauls maybe but not big Ben) as much as these towers are so by your logic you would've have been against them when they were built.

A 6 star hotel with an affordable housing block plus a public viewing gallery will do a lot to bring people to the area thus increasing through traffic who at the moment ignore the area completely & stick to the river path.

This along with developments like 20 Blackfriars with its mix of offices & residential towers (which im sure you don't like either)will further enhance the area.
Wednesday 25 July 2007 7.46pm
What exactly is a 6-star hotel? When did 5 stars stop being the limit?
Wednesday 25 July 2007 8.11pm
I think the Burj in Dubai sells itself as the only 6 star hotel in the world.

Dubai / Blackfriars Road, can barely tell the difference can you?
Wednesday 25 July 2007 8.50pm
I read somewhere about a 7-star hotel. But this is surely just grade inflation!
Wednesday 25 July 2007 8.58pm
I've just googled 7 & 8 star - still come up with the Burj.
Wednesday 25 July 2007 11.00pm
(which im sure you don't like either).[/quote]

I haven't said I don't like it or said I'm against it .
I just don't buy the bullshit about this sort of development
Wednesday 12 September 2007 9.04pm
A height reduction -

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2908

Now we'll have a stumpier, less elegant piece of architecture. Well done English Heritage for sticking your noses into the planning process once again.
TAK
Wednesday 12 September 2007 11.09pm
Actually, this reduction is of 10 meters - 180m or 170m in height want make a big difference in it's appearance...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions