London SE1 community website

1 Blackfriars Road [Beetham Tower/Jumeirah Hotel]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 20
Wednesday 30 April 2008 9.40am
Lots of activity on the Beetham's site this morning - does anyone know why? I've not seen anything about it since it was announced that Hazel Blears had issued a 'call in' letter on the building.
Wednesday 30 April 2008 10.28am
Another big advertising billboard by the looks of it - the frame they're installing has a Clear Channel logo on it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 30 April 2008 10.54am
Thanks James - that's not very exciting. They were standing on top of one of the existing hoardings when I left for work, so I wondered if they were removing it in preparation for building work to commence.
Wednesday 14 May 2008 10.06am
The Planning Inspectorate reckon that the inquiry will last 16 days, and they have suggested a start date of 29 July.

I can't imagine sitting in August will be very popular, so it will be interesting to see if the parties negotiate a later date.

Wednesday 14 May 2008 10.43am
What are the chances of this tower actually winning the PI?
Thursday 15 May 2008 5.27pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
What are the chances of this tower actually winning the PI?

I thought it was basically the Royal Parks vs. pretty much everyone? Considering she approved 20 Fenchursh Street, I thnik she will approve this too:)

And if this wins, you can bet the smaller towers nextdoor will win theirs too:)
Thursday 15 May 2008 5.28pm
As well as the Royal Parks Agency, Westminster City Council is also a party to the inquiry.

Thursday 29 May 2008 1.06pm
The inquiries into 1 and 20 Blackfriars Road have been combined:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3328

Wednesday 9 July 2008 11.16am
Interesting piece about Beetham's finances from the Liverpool Daily Post
(it's split over four pages)

Hugh Frost of Beetham wrote:
“The success of our Blackfriars scheme depends on the Secretary of State consenting, which we should know about January next year. It releases sufficient cash to deal with all of our banking problems.
“But it's prudent not to count those chickens until they are hatched.

Asked what would happen if the Blackfriars scheme was refused permission by the Secretary of State, Mr Frost said: “Then life is not so easy. We have challenges which we will deal with.

Wednesday 9 July 2008 12.36pm
That's interesting. Also interesting is that Great Portland Estates appears to struck a deal with the BP Pension Fund on their 240 Blackfriars Road site. They've formed a joint venture - Great Ropemaker Partnership (GRP) - to be managed by GRP. Quote: !GRP has acquired a development site at 240 Blackfriars Road from GPR to an initial consideration of 20.5 million. In addition, 2 million is payable in enhanced fees if the site is redeveloped ....."
Current: 8 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions