London SE1 community website

Builder - there must be one here somewhere!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 22 February 2005 5.23pm
Hi,
Jane fs recommended Jonathan to me and I called him- he seemed nice on the phone and hopefully will quote for my refurb.
Anyway, on this post, it says, 'this post has been reported to the forum moderator'- any idea why?
Sarahmc

Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I continue my quest for a builder. Downstairs
> bathroom conversion & rebuilding of an outside
> wall.
>
> I spoke to Jonathan Vogado of Drum who came to
> look at a room that needed plastering & gave
> me a quotation that was sky high - he obviously
> didn't want to do that job. I asked him to come
> back on the above work, and have heard nothing
> since.
>
> I spoke to Michael Rann, as recommended by
> Harriet/Sophie McCadam, but he describes himself
> as a handyman, rather than a builder &
> wouldn't be up to it.
>
>
> Has NOBODY used a builder round here?
>
>

Tuesday 22 February 2005 6.23pm
Beener Wrote:
> I am looking for someone also. Something between a
> handyman and a contractor. I would like to knock a
> hole in a wall and add a door. It is in a
> structural wall so is beyond my capabilities (I am
> very handy) but isn't big enought to get a
> contractor in for such a small project. Any
> suggestions? Also still trying to find a local
> landscape contractor but with little to no
> luck.... I can't be the only person in SE1 who as
> a garden!!!

Following on from a post I've just made on the unreliable builders topic I'd like to point something out which kind of proves the point I was trying to make.

You clearly need a builder for what you think is a simple job. If you get someone between a handyman and a proper builder it probably is a simple job as it's technically easy. However, they probably won't get a structural engineers report or involve building control and they might not be insured. The chances of the building falling down are remote but you may get cracks appearing and you may have problems when you come to sell the property as you have structurally altered the building without the appropriate consent.

So either way you'll possibly feel ripped off as if you get a quality builder in it will cost quite alot for a relatively small job.

Tuesday 22 February 2005 8.14pm
>>You clearly need a builder for what you think is a simple job.

Alternatively: You know you need a builder, for what is rather a small job. So any decent builder is not interested - as he knows that you will feel 'done', and any indecent builder will be unable to come up with the goods.

When I started planning for my somewhat insignificant works, I followed the RIBA's advice & found an architect. The architect promised me a firm of builders. A huge amount of professional fees later, the architect told me that the builders weren't interested as the project was too small. I could have put the plans together myself and saved the architect's fees - given that finding a builder who is likely to undertake the work is apparently impossible.
Tuesday 22 February 2005 8.40pm
I'm in the process of designing and fitting out two shops in Shoreditch. I will let everyone know of anyone I can recommend once I've finished with them but not before!!
Wednesday 23 February 2005 7.36am
I can recommend R&R Building Services - Rob Veal is the main contact there & his phone number is 07970 204382. R&R are not only builders, but painters, decorators, tilers, etc. Their quotes are reasonable and the firm is local (Borough).
Tuesday 26 April 2005 8.42am
Question for everyone on this thread: I think I need a structural engineer - any recommendations?
I'm wondering about bashing out two internal hard walls to expand my kitchen. It's in a c1905 ex-Southwark Council flat.
Having read Beener's and Philip Oakley's posts (among others) I'm not sure what I need - a builder, an architect or just a bloke who'll say "Nah, you can't do that, the roof will fall in, mate." I guess to start with I need a feasibility report.
The walls have a bit of plumbing including a mysterious pipe that I fear may carry gas.
Is this indeed a job for a structural engineer?
If so, has anyone used one and been satisfied?

Many thanks!
Tuesday 26 April 2005 12.53pm
Been a builder all my life, but am now a lady of leisure (at nearly 65 dont feel like clambering around on scaffolding at eight oclock on a dark morning freezing to death any more). However, know anything that needs to be known about knocking out walls and so on, so if you can wait till after 4th May when I'm back I'll be glad to come and tell you! Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone.
Saturday 30 April 2005 12.18pm
jasonwoolfe Wrote:
> Question for everyone on this thread: I think I
> need a structural engineer - any recommendations?
> I'm wondering about bashing out two internal hard
> walls to expand my kitchen. It's in a c1905
> ex-Southwark Council flat.
> Having read Beener's and Philip Oakley's posts
> (among others) I'm not sure what I need - a
> builder, an architect or just a bloke who'll say
> "Nah, you can't do that, the roof will fall in,
> mate." I guess to start with I need a feasibility
> report.
> The walls have a bit of plumbing including a
> mysterious pipe that I fear may carry gas.
> Is this indeed a job for a structural engineer?
> If so, has anyone used one and been satisfied?
>
> Many thanks!

An experienced builder should be able to tell you if it's feasible but ultimately you will need a structural engineers report to satisfy the freeholder (Southwark Council) to get your licence to alter the layout of the flat. Without their consent you could have problems when selling the flat. It sounds like the paperwork might cost alot more than the physical work.
The metal pipe is probably a conduit for electric cables and not gas!

Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions