London SE1 community website

Thames Festival - 18-19 September

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 1 September 2004 12.38pm
Thanks, LR.

Straight line 20 miles. Add 50%. 30 miles. 50km.

Say 500m wide.

Surface area 25,000,000 sq m.

One litre is one cm on 1 sq m.

So 30 cm - say 1 foot - increase in height based on daily flow of 800m litres.

So only 4 inches over the 9 hours.

In the event of flooding, rate is increased 30 fold so maximum height increase over this period is 120 inches - 10 feet.

Near enough.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 1.01pm
What about evaporation?
Wednesday 1 September 2004 1.25pm
Doesn't really answer your question, but courtesy of a pal who I've just discovered is doing some of the sound and lighting:

Programme:
1-2pm Signal Malinga Founded by Risa Risa in 1993 bringing together a group of hugely talented Congolese musicians. Signal Malinga is a fresh and contemporary sound with traditional rhythms and the golden voice of Africa.
2.15-3pm Alice Mclaughlin Animated and impassioned Alice delivers her Ricky Lee Jones meets Laura Nyro songs with an acoustic folktronica sound.
3-4.30pm Ken Campbell You really ought to know who Ken is. Described by The Guardian as 'British theatre's antic visionary', by The Times as 'Hilariously anarchic genius', and by The Observer as 'Sheer bliss'. Mr Campbell has written, directed more plays, TV and film than we can decently expect you to read through, so just take our word for it.
4.45-5.45pm Velarsound Imagine an equilateral triangle with corners in the respective hearts of trip-hop, R&B and elctronica. Thrilling beats and melodic vocals
5.45 pm Prizes presented to winners of the Sandcastle competition
6-7pm Kitoto Kitoto band has been based in London since 1996 and was formed by Freddy Macha in Rio De Janeiro in 1991. The band play Afro-pop-music; a blend of African and Caribbean music with Latin-Rhythms and elements of Blues.

Sandcastle competition: 'A new landmark for London' Judged by a panel of artists, designers and a politician, on innovation and creativity in creating 'a new landmark for London' from Thames sand. This is in homage to all the built 'landmarks' that are flying out of the ground, but also to give credit to the Thames and it's foreshore as the important but sometimes forgotten London landmark. Rules: reinforcement or decoration is allowed but must be removed from the beach after the event. Making can start as soon as there's beach. To take part: turn up, register with us and start creating - all ages welcome.

Full Programme http://www.swarming.org.uk/recl/reclwhe.htm
Directions http://www.swarming.org.uk/recl/reclwer.htm
Wednesday 1 September 2004 2.18pm
isn't a litre 1 mm per sq m ?

[ edited to apologise for useless pedantry - it is a compulsion - aaagh ]

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 1 September 2004 2.19pm by red bus.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 5.44pm
[LR feels pathetic need to work out the result. Happy to stand corrected on my horribly rusty maths]

Mapmaker wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, LR.
>
> Straight line 20 miles.
>Add 50%. 30 miles.
> 50km.

[LR checks the Thames Path walking guide!
Teddington - Putney Br ........11mls 18km
Putnery Br - Tower Br............10mls 16km
Tower Br - Thames Barrier....9mls 15km
Total:........................................30mls 48km

Good estimate Mapmaker]

> Say 500m wide.

[only at the barrier - at Teddington it is less than a 100m and most of the central London bridges span less than 300m - shall we say 300 metres average?].

> Surface area 25,000,000 sq m.

[Gives 14.4 sq km, say 15,000,000 sq m for ease of computation]

> One litre is one cm on 1 sq m.

[Oh dear - as red bus the pedant has already so rightly pointed out, 1.0 litre is equal to 10-3 m.]

> So 30 cm - say 1 foot - increase in height
> based on daily flow of 800m litres.

[On my calculation the 800,000 cubic metres in a day raises the water level by 5.33cm]
>
> So only 4 inches over the 9 hours.

[Giving exactly 2cm! (10/12ths of an inch) in the nine hour period that the barrier is up.]
>
> In the event of flooding, rate is increased 30
> fold so maximum height increase over this period
> is 120 inches - 10 feet.

[It's a 37and a half fold increase, so the potential increase is 75cm (also a spookily precise figure), which makes 2'6" in old money.]

> Near enough.
[Out by only a factor of four. Fancy doing my tax returns?]

Wednesday 1 September 2004 5.54pm
Siduhe wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sandcastle competition: 'A new landmark for
> London' Judged by a panel of artists, designers
> and a politician, on innovation and creativity in
> creating 'a new landmark for London' from Thames
> sand. This is in homage to all the built
> 'landmarks' that are flying out of the ground, but
> also to give credit to the Thames and it's
> foreshore as the important but sometimes forgotten
> London landmark. Rules: reinforcement or
> decoration is allowed but must be removed from the
> beach after the event. Making can start as soon as
> there's beach. To take part: turn up, register
> with us and start creating - all ages welcome.

I quite fancy rubbing Ken Livingstone's nose in it by constructing a sandcastle scale model of John Soane's unbuilt triumphal bridge over the Thames...

Any takers...

Edited to add - On second thoughts all those pillars could be a bit fiddly

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 1 September 2004 5.57pm by Lang Rabbie.
Wednesday 1 September 2004 6.31pm
You'd have to be pretty nifty with a shovel!
Wednesday 1 September 2004 11.19pm
Am I alone in finding the Thames Festival a bore.

Maybe it just that there is very little for kids. Fairground rides - if there are any have tended to be expensive. And last year there was some sort of workshop for kids in a tent in Bernie Spain Gardens but we were told that it was private and my kids couldn't take part.

Crowds, food stalls and some tat for sale, but nothing to actually do. Ended up taking two tired and grumpy kids home. Ironically I had though this event was actually for families and kids. Kids certainly seem to prefer the Tate Members Room (though this is still theoretical as they are still waiting for a friendly forum member to invite them) and Borough Market.

Reclaim the beach was good thought when it happened at Vauxhall. I assume, since it has the same title, that it is more or less the same thing.
Thursday 2 September 2004 9.14am
::blushes::
Thursday 2 September 2004 4.08pm
2'6" - hmm, how high is my desk?!
(measures with tape...)
2'6" - good grief! well I never!

tee hee hee.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions